Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Genesis flywheel removal troubles

How much torque does it take on the puller before the flywheel will release? I'm attempting to remove it with the engine in the hull (not that removing the engine would change the torque requirement). I'm using a 3ft pipe & 2ft pipe for extra leverage. If you're wondering, the flywheel puller I'm using has a nut on the front which is why two pipes are involved. One wrench/pipe on the nut for holding purposes with the other being on the puller bolt. Anyway, I have loads of torque on there now and I'm getting really apprehensive about it. Fortunately, the puller came with 12.9 grade hardware. I've used some PB Blaster and also heat from a heat gun on low (to the flywheel). I've done a little tapping with a hammer to add some vibration to the party, well, what little I can do with the room I'm afforded...both on the flywheel itself and also on the puller.

I don't know why this thing hasn't released yet. It's been under tension for two days now, with a little more on the second day due to the 3ft pipe I went and bought. I plan on taking the puller back off so I can put the nut back on the front because I forgot to leave it on there to begin with. Then I'll start over. If I don't do that I'm afraid this thing is going to blast through the fuel tank if it ever does let go.

So, do I keep buying longer pipes and start using ladders? I just feel like I'm already past the point where it should've released.
    Last edited by K447; 08-14-2015 at 09:15 AM.

I have 2000 genesis carb. Just did stator swap with sunk one. Had same problem with one.i used toque, heat with torch lightly not to melt seals, and tap. Also slide card board and a rag between puller and tank to to reduce the shock when it releases. Mine took three hours of waiting but it did release on its own. Good luck

Yeah, I'm using a heat gun on low because of the seal. Perhaps I'll use high. While I could get a torch closer to the center between the puller and flywheel, I really don't want to use one because the thing is going to scare the crap out of me when it pops. I don't want to be holding a torch when it happens.

So, do you mean to tell me that yours released on its own as in you walked away, came back, and noticed it had released?

Yes. I read posts not to go for it all at one time. When it didn't come off like the other one. I followed those steps 3 times came back and it released. The first one came right off. Are u changing fly wheel or stator?

I just removed a flywheel off a sl700, loctited on. I loaded that puller right up and got in there with a heavy chunk of iron and rapped the end of that puller with all I had maybe 3 times and POP off it came. Won't hurt you... Also, I am new here with a problem. How do I open a thread of my own, I need some help as well.

I'm changing the flywheel for sure to the 12-magnet one. I don't know the condition of the stator yet.

+1
    Check the magnets on the flywheel after you get it off. They fall off of you fart near them

Post a pic of your setup

Quote Originally Posted by DrDan View Post
    I just removed a flywheel off a sl700, loctited on. I loaded that puller right up and got in there with a heavy chunk of iron and rapped the end of that puller with all I had maybe 3 times and POP off it came. Won't hurt you... Also, I am new here with a problem. How do I open a thread of my own, I need some help as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post new thread.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	367804

Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Check the magnets on the flywheel after you get it off. They fall off of you fart near them

Post a pic of your setup
    I'll take some pictures when I get home.

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I have never pulled a flywheel in the hull and never will. I would just pull the motor and get it on the bench. Last flywheel i pulled took just a few taps on the face of the flywheel with a 2 lb dead blow after tightening up the puller. They can be stubborn but i have never had a real hard time getting them off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information