Stops and goes at WOT. Brand new. 96 XP

I just rebuilt this entire motor. I did the crank, pistons, rotary shaft... everything.

Carbs were rebuilt with OEM Mikuni kits. Pop-off at 38psi. New fuel lines etc..

Ski was running great for the first 10 hours or so post-rebuild up until this weekend when it started to "starve" for fuel.

I thought maybe rectifier was acting up so I used the other one from my other 96 xp, which by the way has never been rebuilt and hauls a$$ over this one, but still no change.

It is very consistent and it just dies and then picks up again, repeatedly. Does anyone know what would cause something like this? This ski also appears to run MUCH hotter to the touch than my other xp, could I have a plugged cooling line or something?
    Last edited by oodaeSGuy; 08-10-2015 at 09:04 AM.

I have the SAME issue!!! just rebuilt does the same thing! surges at WOT for a second, then picks up, then surges then picks up. carbs are rebuild all mikuni parts new filter new lines....
    mine is also very hot! plz help

Quote Originally Posted by jacob13217 View Post
    I have the SAME issue!!! just rebuilt does the same thing! surges at WOT for a second, then picks up, then surges then picks up. carbs are rebuild all mikuni parts new filter new lines....
    mine is also very hot! plz help
    Odd.

+1
    Have you checked the tank vents? Is the fuel water separator oring good, definitly not leaking air? Have you cleaned and leak tested the fuel selector? Did you leak test the carbs while they were apart? An air leak somewhere or a tank not venting sounds like the issue to me...

+1
    If it's running much hotter, pretty much in line with lean seizing pistons was the entire engine pressure checked prior to install?

I'd pull the power valves to get a window and the plugs to run those pistons up and down the bore turning by hand to see if there's scoring on the skirts.

I will check the tank vent next, thanks!

Motor pressure was tested, it was perfect.

+1
    Put a piece of clear tubing on the fuel supply to the carbs. Watch for bubbles in the fuel. Could be sucking air somewhere. Are you sure the rectifier isn't over-volting?

Thread Information