Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1

Typical or Not? Oil in Supercharger Inlet

Coming in from a long ride yesterday as we pulled up to the dock and powered down to idle the engine seemed to be making a high pitched noise that was not typical. Shut it down, started it back up - no noise, power delivery seemed fine, from a stop in sport mode at full throttle the rpms jump up to ~7750 with no cavitation, then as speed increases rpm increases to 8000 or so. Speed appears normal.

The sound bothered me especially after having the supercharger touch the housing last year so I set to inspecting the supercharger to make sure it didn't touch down again. Good news there, everything was perfect in the supercharger housing (inspection mirror). However, I did notice the supercharger intake hose (BRP Rear hose intake) had a fair amount of oil residue in it. Is this typical of a Ski with ~90 hours? (Pic attached)

I checked the oil level right after and it was way above the top marking (1-1.5"), but the engine had only been shut down from a long run shortly before. When I had checked it cold a couple weeks ago it was maybe 1/4" above the top bend.

Any comments? Normal amount of oil for the breather system? Possible cause of high pitched noise that doesn't continue after restart?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150809_133633~2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	367787

+1
    looks like the blow by thats being pushed back into the intake track by that hose right above your hand....This happens when the ski is over filled with oil..take out enough oil to get it just under the first bend and you should see this slowly go away..

+1
    Was hoping that was the case! Still nervous about taking the ski too far out when it made that high pitched noise. Passenger thought their cellphone was ringing. Disappeared after a restart.

*Did notice when I pulled the seat off at the launch ramp that I thought the engine was vibrating more than usual (maybe 1/8" movement side to side at the engine cover) . Then again I've never really paid attention in the past - should there be any noticeable vibration of the engine at idle? How would I go about inspecting motor mounts?*
    Last edited by RGUN; 08-10-2015 at 07:55 AM.

+1
    No,it shouldnt be vibrating that much..how are the plugs.....Also if your that nervous pull the charger and have jerry or a repitable person check it out for you....Might be worth a peice of mind to you..

+1
    As far as the noise....check your pump and tunnel out for debris,,,,might be something in that area..

+1
    Plugs are 8 hours old. Just replaced them two weeks ago. Not particularly nervous about the charger, its 20 hours old and while I didn't check the slip I did slip the torque wrench on it and it held up to 25inch pounds which is when the motor started to turn.

I did check out the pump tunnel before I left yesterday. The wear ring looked great (20 hours old) and everything looked good. There was a piece of seaweed sitting in front of the vanes that I imagine I picked up as I loaded it on the trailer but aside from that looked fine.

I'm going to work under the assumption that it's either fine or a motor mount is failing. I guess the best way to check those is an inspection mirror while lifting/trying to twist the motor by the tabs on the block?

+1
    You'll know if a mount is gone pretty quick ... Check the front mount can you pull up and down or rock the engine side to side ?

Thread Information