Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    +1

MSX 140 Air temp sensor

One of my MSX 140's started bogging(cutting in and out) on the lake today around 5900 RPM after a hour or so of run time. (same thing on my Virage TXi)

This ski has been running great for the past year. Last summer I had the EMM done by Harris. When I pull the air cleaner cover I saw the Air Temp Sensor with a grove in it. I took the sensor out of the Virage TXi (2410126) and installed it into the MSX (2410299). I just check the parts online and they call for different numbers but are both replaced with 2202716. So I am thinking I should be OK running the MSX with the Virage TXi sensor.

Any one see an issue with this?
    JJ

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ait temp.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	367737  

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Give her hell

+1
    OK, I will try it tomorrow.

Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jajardas View Post
    OK, I will try it tomorrow.

Thanks.
    Trim the plastic 'wings' on the flame arrestor cover so they cannot touch the temp sensor. Cut two webs so even if the cover is installed backwards the cover cannot cut into the replacement sensor dome.

Polaris eventually added a spacer to lower the sensor slightly below the surface of the flame arrestor base, which also avoids the cover cutting into the sensor.

+1
    Thanks K, I saw that sometime this weekend and have done that on the DI ski's.

JJ

+1
    Installed the Air Temp sensor from the Virage TXi and some new plugs and same thing is happening. So, I took the Exhaust temp sensor out last night but it checked out good. ohm'd at 998.

Good Air and Exhaust Temp sensor, Fuel presure at 22 to 24 lbs, Compression all even at 110. Seems low but my gauge reads low compared to my buddies, Crank index good, CPS not damage, 20 volts on red and white then to 40ish when running, took injectors off and looked inside the cylinders no problems noticed, EMM reapaired last season with around 30 hours on it. The only thinkg I have not tried in installing a new TPS. I have one still in the bag. Should have done that at first but saw the air temp sensor with a large grove in the center thinking that was it. Anything else I am missing? Some other sensor somewhere that might be causing this only reach 5900 RPM's. If some of you know what a exhaust brake on a tractor trailer is, It sounds like that at around 5900 RPM's.
    If replacing the TPS does not solve the issue I could take the EMM and injectors and swap them between the Blue MSX and Red MSX and see if the problem follows. I just do not know if doing that I am asking for my Red one to go down.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jajardas View Post
    Installed the Air Temp sensor from the Virage TXi and some new plugs and same thing is happening. So, I took the Exhaust temp sensor out last night but it checked out good. ohm'd at 998.

Good Air and Exhaust Temp sensor, Fuel presure at 22 to 24 lbs, Compression all even at 110. Seems low but my gauge reads low compared to my buddies, Crank index good, CPS not damage, 20 volts on red and white then to 40ish when running, took injectors off and looked inside the cylinders no problems noticed, EMM repaired last season with around 30 hours on it. The only thing I have not tried in installing a new TPS. I have one still in the bag. Should have done that at first but saw the air temp sensor with a large grove in the center thinking that was it.

Anything else I am missing? Some other sensor somewhere that might be causing this only reach 5900 RPM's.

If some of you know what a exhaust brake on a tractor trailer is, It sounds like that at around 5900 RPM's.

If replacing the TPS does not solve the issue I could take the EMM and injectors and swap them between the Blue MSX and Red MSX and see if the problem follows. I just do not know if doing that I am asking for my Red one to go down.
    Installing a new TPS would at least confirm the old TPS is the same (good) or not.

Swapping EMM with injectors doesn't take that long and it will tell you if the problem follows the 'bad' EMM or not.

The 'exhaust brake' sound makes me wonder if there is something loose or damaged in the exhaust system. If there is an exhaust leak then riding it with the seat off ventilates the hull and the problem should diminish. If there is a partial blockage inside an exhaust hose, waterbox or resonator that can make the engine run oddly at high power levels. Sometimes an overheated exhaust hose will delaminate on the inside and bulge inwards, restricting the exhaust flow.

Have you run it strapped to the trailer at the launch ramp with the seat off? That way you can watch the engine area while applying throttle.
    Last edited by K447; 05-29-2016 at 10:39 AM.

+1
    K,

I have not ran it at the launch with the seat off on the trailer because it has always preformed well after the EMM repair until Sunday. I will install the new TPS and try it strapped to the trailer. I have all four of them with me and I could take them to the ramp and swap the EMM and injectors right there if I continue to have the problem.
    Thanks as always.
    JJ
    Last edited by CliffsidePM; 08-12-2015 at 10:23 PM.

+1
    Here is my update on the blue MSX. Took the EMM out of my red MSX and I have the same thing happening. I did not change the injectors just started it up on the trailer. I am going to swap injectors and emm out of my virage and see if I get the same thing.
    JJ

+1
    Just wanted to up date thread. Still have same issue. Good compression, tps, air, temp, voltages checked, stator checked, fuel pressure, bypassed the lr, took the TB off and reeds are ok. EMM and injectors swapped on good machine. Problem does not follow the EMM. All sensors and tests are good in in DW, Will take apart the exhaust, and unplug NGI to see if that is the problem.

Thinking I may put together the spare motor and install into this hull and see if it still acts the same.

JJ

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information