Thread: Carry a KNIFE

+1

Carry a KNIFE

Was out on Lake Dunlap yesterday which is just a damed up section of the Guadeloupe river west of I 35 in New Braunfels, lined with houses on both sides. Nice place and is a skiers paradise, with ski boats docked at almost every home. It nice, laid back, jet skis seem welcome.

But where you find skiers you find rope and their rope floats. I went over a piece and killed engine ASAP. Swam under found nothing, so looked behind and found a short piece and another, must have got sucked in and cut. But you don't have to go to Lake Dunlap to run over a ski rope. I remember one time on Lake Ray Hubbard just E and outside of Dallas. I ingested a serious piece of ski rope. With luck I had a knife with a serrated blade [I strongly recommend that] and was able to cut-pull-cut-pull repeat the rope out. I remember it took a long time and lots of holding my breath, cuting-pulling take another breath. IIRC took about ½ hr to clear it.

Carry a SHARP, serrated blade, longer works better than what you would find on a folder.

+1
    I started reading this thread thinking "Wow he must have run into some real assholes on the lake" lol. Rope makes more sense. Good tip, the last thing I want to do is get stuck on a lake. I went to Canyon last year alone pretty often during the work week in the cooler months and would not see another boater for long stretches. I used to worry about running into trouble, i figured worst case I could call my dad and have him bring his boat up. If I keep reading this forum I'll have to upgrade to a boat to fit all of my get out of trouble stuff haha.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I am retired and as a result much of my ski time si M-F and black clouds and freezing temps do not scare me. More than once I have pushed, pulled and drug my ski a LONG ways to get out of a bind.

I was on the SE end of Possum Kingdom WOT having a great day, no wind no boats. Suddenly my ski ground to a halt and would start and die, but run long enough to tell me maybe something like a rope sucked up the intake. So I roll off my ski to find myself in about 6 in of water and knee deep in mud, the soft gooey kind. This not being my first mud rodeo I knew the angles.

You start walking around your ski in even widening spiral. Sooner or later the water will get deeper, then you try to follow it by doing a zig zag noting when the water is about 3 foot deep. Now push, pull or drag that now beast to that place in the water, hoping you hit the same spot. Now you have to clear the mud. Do your best to pull an poke on the intake, then I carry a short stick to (piece of ½" round stock from Home Depot about 12-18" long) and use it to push into the sucked in mud. Do it a few times, then start your ski, repeat, repeat. Sooner or later it will clear itself. Now walk the ski out till it gets close to waist deep and head out. I use an elastic mooring rope just for this purpose of pulling it across water covered mud, lot easier then a nonelastic line.

5. +1 by:

Ex ran our jet over ski rope once. Had to be towed to ramp. Took boat home, took off grate and WOW! Took 2 hrs. To cut off BUT YES, serrated knife is the only answer in my opinion.

Thread Information