Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

06 GTX Wake, Big leak from drive shaft after pump replacement

So a couple months ago, a buddy ran my GTX Wake onto a sandbar, sucked up rocks, and tore up the impeller and pump splines. The splines had chunks missing, but none were entirely broken, so I just replaced the impeller. First ride was ok, but it was a little down on power. So I replaced the pump housing as well, with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sea-Doo-Jet-Pump-Housing-GTX-4-SC-Ltd-Wake-RXP-GTI-Speedster-Sportster-/261189759697?hash=item3cd01f72d1&vxp=mtr

First ride today on the new pump housing, and the thing starts great, but quickly loses power. The hull is filling with water, engine is half submerged, big problem. Towed it back to land, and watched it drain out of the drive shaft. I've attached a picture of the problem area, with the cover pulled back. The water is coming in (and going back out) between the bellows with the clamps and the shaft. I can't make heads or tails of the instructions for the driveline in the manual. Can you guys help diagnose, and walk me through fixing it up? I'm happy to take more pictures if needed.

Is that pump housing just a piece of crap that blew my shaft seals or something?

(I've already run through the Service Manual's submerged motor procedure. Changed oil, performed the boil-off, fogged the cylinders, etc. Dipstick is clean now, no milky water showing on it. I think the motor is fine, I just need to seal up this huge leak.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150809_171945.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	367731  

+1
    impeller spun loose from the pump shaft-- the water is the least of the problems that can happen. You may have gotten lucky (you would be the 1st).

+1
    The silver ring on the drive shafts should be back against the carbon ring at the front of the bellows.
    Can you push it back? Did it loose the c-clip under the silver ring?

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    The silver ring on the drive shafts should be back against the carbon ring at the front of the bellows.
    Can you push it back? Did it loose the c-clip under the silver ring?
    The silver ring doesn't appear to move at all. Maybe it's seized? I pushed the bellows back, didn't see any c-clips or related grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    impeller spun loose from the pump shaft-- the water is the least of the problems that can happen. You may have gotten lucky (you would be the 1st).
    If the impeller spun loose, wouldn't it just not move at all? It seems to spin up and move water. I'll pull the pump and check it tomorrow after work.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the c-clip popped off..and it looks like some time ago from the corrosion in the pic.

you need to get that silver bit " the top hat" to slide back on that shaft. DO NOT get oil on the carbone part, that will ruin it. cover it with masking tape and some plastic.

Once you get the ring to push back, you'll see the groove in the driveshaft for the cip. Might as well buy two..one will certainly disappear into the bilge when you try to install it.

The clip hold the tophat agist the carbone bit and the rubber bellows provide some pressure to keep the seal effective.

almost sure sinkage when that clip flies off.

perhaps the rubber driveshaft bumpers were not in place.

check parts diagrams, lots of talk here, as a frozen top hat is a pretty common shop problem.

Seadoo does make a tool to push that hat back..you need to pop the clip to remove the driveshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    the c-clip popped off..and it looks like some time ago from the corrosion in the pic.

you need to get that silver bit " the top hat" to slide back on that shaft. DO NOT get oil on the carbone part, that will ruin it. cover it with masking tape and some plastic.

Once you get the ring to push back, you'll see the groove in the driveshaft for the cip. Might as well buy two..one will certainly disappear into the bilge when you try to install it.

The clip hold the tophat agist the carbone bit and the rubber bellows provide some pressure to keep the seal effective.

almost sure sinkage when that clip flies off.

perhaps the rubber driveshaft bumpers were not in place.

check parts diagrams, lots of talk here, as a frozen top hat is a pretty common shop problem.

Seadoo does make a tool to push that hat back..you need to pop the clip to remove the driveshaft.
    I found another post where someone used a 2x4 and prybar to move the tophat thing, so I'll give that a shot before shelling out for a tool. But thanks, I wasn't sure how all the parts referenced in the manual went together. I think I'm getting a better idea.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2112.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	367758

Floating ring should be very tight against the carbon ring. This pic shows the c clip exposed under the floating ring and the best tool to use for the job.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I've used a ball joint fork and some 2x4's a few times. Big rubber mallet and a helper are good.Easy to get hurt using alternative methods.

The tool is under $50 and it will be handy for assembly.

I'd drop a $50 to avoid one big cut or smashed finger

So weird story. I used the tool to push the hat back, and there was the circlip, still in place, *under* the collar. The only thing I can think is that I had to give the pump a good tug to get it out, but I didn't use any prybars or anything. So ????

Anyway, before I go replacing that circlip, it looks like the bellows doesn't push the hat all the way back to it. If I pull the hat back to contact the circlip, the carbon ring *just barely* reaches the hat. Definitely not tight. Do I need a new bellows? Or maybe the carbon ring got shoved too deep in the bellows, and I can just pull that out 1/4" or so? I've attached a pic of what it looks like now. How would I know if I need a new carbon ring?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150812_181843.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	367981

Last question. (for now) I'm guessing not, but is there any way to bench-test water-tightness while on the trailer? It would be nice to know if it's close before towing all the way to the river.

(oh, and thanks a ton for the help. You guys are great!)

+1
    You have 3 broken motor mounts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information