Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

Sunk the new RPX-X

I picked up the new ski Thursday and Friday we left to Dale Hollow lake KY. Long story short, I got tangle up in an old ski rope. Instead of pulling it in the trailer (which was my preferred solution), my friends decided to hold the ski on its side.

Needless to say, the ski filled up with water. We towed it back with the plugs out to drain some water and as we got closer to the dock, I was able to stop and put the plugs back in quick enough so there was less than a couple of inches of water. (As opposed to the 2' of water in there)

i bumped the ignition over to see if it would turn over and it did. Based on that, I figured there was no water on the cylinders because if it was any negligible amount, it would have locked it down.

So so I crank it a few times and she fires up. I shut it immediately down and check the oil and yup, it's milky.

I talked ler to a friend of mine and he said to drain it and change oil at least 5 times. Doesn't that seem a little much??

Sad part of all this is I bought a bilge pump and was waiting for my kids to come in so I can do it all at once.

Anyone care are to share their opinion on the best way to clean this mess up. I was going to do several oil flushes but use regular oil until the final oil change.

thanks,

mark

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    that SUX!

I don't know about the oil, but I would stay with the sea-doo oil so as not to have any issues with the SC clutch.
    my GUESS...

+1
    Good point! I was only going to use regular oil just to flush out a couple times, not ride it with the regular oil.

i'm going to ask the dealer and see what he says

4. +1 by:

+1
    Grab some cheap motorcycle oil and get changing. Save the good stuff for the last change. The clock is ticking. Once you've got it clean...go run it to steam off any left over moisture.

+1
    Anythoughts of how many times I should change oilbefore I actually run it?

+1
    until its almost clean looking, better get a second oil filter, to put in once its all cleaned out.

Water can collapse the filter if there's a lot in it.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    until its almost clean looking, better get a second oil filter, to put in once its all cleaned out.

Water can collapse the filter if there's a lot in it.
    Oh definitely, I was going to do a oil and filter change each time. I drove back from KY and checked the oil. It looks clean on the dipstick so I can only assume what little water did get in there, settled down and probably separated.

I did start it up just now for a second to let it mix and see what it looks like on the dipstick. Now that I had a good chance to look at it, there is a bit of water in it, not much, it's juuuust a little discolored.

Tomorrow I will drain oil and filter and set it in the water to idle for a few minutes. Then one more time and check it.

Thanks for the ya'lls help.

Mark

+1
    Don't be too worried about it...its fresh water. My ski got salt water in engine at only 10hrs and now almost 180hrs while pretty modified. Flush it correctly and don't sweat it.

FYI: Next time (or for those that don't know). These 4tec motors have a very unique mechanical design. Every time you shut engine OFF, the intake and exhaust halves will naturally shut closed. This way if you roll ski or sink it, DO NOT hit start button!!! Tow it slowly to shore, and unbolt/remove intake manifold to let water out. The intake manifold holds a lot of water (bottom) and if you don't remove intake, you pretty much never get it all out. It's a PITA but saves you from more work.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    You need to get the water out now....not later.....

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I typically need to run 24+ quarts to get the oil to the point where I'll let the ski go out. Take out the oil filter first..water makes them fail and tht's a real issue. you can put the filter back in when it's all done.

hopefully its already done.

if not..get on that like right now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information