Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultra 260x not running right

Hi, As i previously posted in some of my threads i got an 09 ultra 260x for really cheap. I know it would need some work. My current problems with the ski are as follows. First it does not idle well all the time. In addition to this i have to apply little throttle for it to start, is that normal? The first time when i started it seemed to run ok. Before i was ready to water test for any further issues i started it on land and it appeared to be running rough almost like a misfire. I already checked plugs and they are gaped correctly and according to maintenance records where just changed not long ago. In addition this time is seemed to bog a lot and i couldn't rev it past 4000 at wot. It would just bog down. I then tried startling it about an hour later and it would rev up to past 5k (probably could do more didint want to push it on land). It didnt seem like any bogging problems. It still seemed to run a little rough but much better. The problem seems to be intermittent. I do notice a little blue smoke coming from exhaust after revving it up but nothing drastic. However, there is a lot of while smoke / steam when on the hose. Now this may be normal,l but i know on a car this would point to head gasket. Also while cranking after a while (sometimes its hard to start) the battery buzzer goes off. I probably will need a new battery soon. It must go off after a certain voltage because it still seemed to be cranking fast. A times it almost seemed like it had no spark because it would crank without even a little sputter. By any chance once the battery buzzer goes off while cranking does it kill spark or if voltage gets too low? The last attempt to start it was about another hour after it rev up without bogging. This time it would just crank without any attempt to start. I think i let off the starter and or removed the immobilize key and re-inserted and noticed that it was completely dead. The instrument cluster would no longer light up when inserting key. I am recharging battery to see if i get the same thing tomorrow. It was cranking fast before that problem happened. It seems all these problems are intermittent. I know the ski took in water and it was just a tad above the battery (im not using that battery). Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to give you a full picture of what was going on in hopes you can help me narrow down the problem.

+1
    White smoke / steam...is normal...For these models The battery buzzer I think is normal occurance on these models too. Mine does the same and runs good.
    Are you absolutely sure the fuel is good 93 ?
    You might have already done this But if it were me I would start with testing the compression and check the fuel system. Start with the basics from the begining.

Ok so I had some more time today to investigate. It was running so rich that it just kept fouling the spark. I check the spark with my tester and i had great spark so I knew that wasn't the problem. I them unplugged the fuel hose off of the rail and made sure fuel was flowing when the pump kicked on and it did (didn't know how to test if injectors were working). Anyways I then removed all the plugs and cranked it over and a whole bunch of fuel came spraying out of the spark plug holes. Even after cranking for a while it still seemed excessive. I then cleaned the plugs and reinstalled and it fired right up. When running through it does seem to still be running pretty rich. I did have the battery disconnected so will the system learn and reduce the fuel? It still doesn't run the smoothest with about 100 rpm fluctuations every so often when holding throttle steady above idle like around 2k. I had it running for about 15 mins and it seemed to get better as it ran. Im guessed because it learned? Initially if i revved it and then let off it would stall. As it was running more I was able to do that without it stalling expect for one time. The biggest problem i see now it still the interment cluster. After i shut it off and if i leave the immobilizer key in there I think it times out be design? If i remove the key and reinsert it nothing happens. The dash doesn't light up or anything. If i switch keys from full to slow that or slow to full that sometimes works but not always. If i wait a while that seems to help but not always. Even if i discount the battery and reconnect that doesn't always help. It seems to come on when it wants to. Any ideas about this? Thanks again or all the help

+1
    About 10 seconds or so after shutting down, do you hear a buzzing/servo motor like sound? Remove the seat for this test..

I dont think so but im not positive about that. What would that sound indicate?

+1
    you either have a flat battery, the low battery alarm is normal on a 250, there is a k-tech notification on this in the tech section. or a faulty key reader as some 250s were also effected by this. btw you dont need to remove the key just push it against the keeper it will spring in and out.

Ultra 250

Hello , i Have same problem with 250 ultra , This ski running alwayse rich . I ceck compressure and This is ok, pressure fuel is ok , i change compressure becouse oli is broken and buy new , work head and change valve and house valve , engine is perfect , but if i open trotle to 4000/5000 RPM engine is perfect , when i wot engine is Very rich . I change Air pressure sensor and Have same problem , no fault in DFI all is ok . Who Have same problem and what's resolution? Thanks. Sorry , spark all 4 black color.

Thats what the old ultras are like ,,change the oil regularly

Do a compression test.
    and a leak off test.
    Might have some head issues there,,,or supercharger belt issues ,,,or some air leaks.

check my post down the page dude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information