Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whirring sound in water, won't go???

So took the ski's to the lake and everything was going fine. I have a 93 Seadoo bombardier GTX. The problem is when you're in the water and rev up to go it won't move barely at all and makes a whirring sound. Well we put it back on the trailer and checked it out. Noticed that I lost the center part of the drain plug and the ski was taking on water. Well emptied all the water out and started her up and she fired right up and revved fine. Well we fashioned something up to put into the center of the plug and dropped it back in the water. Same thing happened? On the trailer starts and revs fine, in the water starts fine and revvs up just won't go?? Makes a strange whirring sound also only when in water. I looked at the prop through the back and it seems to spin fine on the trailer. What the heck is happening here?

It's just your wear ring around the impeller. As the name suggests, it wears out and needs replaced. Just do a search on here plenty of info on how to change it.

Would a failed wear ring make the whirring sound though? Kinda acts like a slipping clutch.

yes. but feel underneath for weeds and junk clogging the intake grate. that happened to me twice this weekend. whirring sound and not moving.
    If grate is clear then you can count on the wear ring.

+1
    or
    stripped prop splines, or D-shaft

High possibility of what psycho rxp said.

Good luck

It could be the impeller bearing failing too. It could be any one or more of the things mentioned. It all points to the pump though and it seems the pump and drive shaft definitely needs checked out.

I pulled the jet pump and drive shaft out. Looked into the PTO best I could with a good flashlight and hard to tell with the grease but seems like it has all the teeth. The PTO end of driveshaft didn't look real bad maybe just some wear from the years, nothing missing or chipped. I did take a closer look at the wear ring though. Seems like on the top it has more of a gap then the bottom. Also there seems to be some wear about halfway through where maybe a piece of wood scraped it or something. I checked the grate on the bottom and it's all clean.

So more of a back story. Fiance was riding it and it was moving just fine, got up on a plane in 4-5 seconds easily. She was following me when she slowed down due to chop and started to go again. That's when it stopped moving except at an idle's pace. Give it gas and it starts "slipping" and whirring. No amount of playing with the throttle will get it going right again.

I guess whats stumping me a little is it seems like it wasn't gradually, it happened all of a sudden. One minute scooting along on a plane and the next minute making a whirring sound and not going.

So got the wear ring replaced and jet pump mounted back up. Used some high-temp gasket maker stuff to make a good seal to the plate. Going to give it a test after work. Fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information