Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2003 polaris virage i - Check engine light

Hello,

I recently purchased (2) 800 DI 2003 Virage I jetskis. These were sitting for (3) years.

Pulled all old fluids out and replaced with new. Also (2) brand new batteries.

While on the trailer I started one of the jet skis with non-issue; while running hose connected water. It fired up burn the gas in the lines and ran well. (original owner replaced the computer in (2007).

Second jet ski I started up and it started to shake bad for ten seconds throwing a check engine light. (engine ran smoother after 1 min of running).

Today was the first time out with both, until the one with the check engine light sputtered and died after approximately 30 min of use. and wouldn't restart. I pulled the plugs and put in 2 new ones on a friends dock. fired back up to take me to the boat launch where I took the out. (the plugs were the recommend NGK-- had a bit of brownish/reddish on the plug tips).

is this running lean? I am not sure where to start, no one in my area here will diagnose or even wants to work on these.

any advice would be much appreciative.

+1
    Mark,

Where in Il are you? There maybe some closee that can help. If you have a multimeter and some time and knowledge to use it there is info on here that can help you. Check K447 link for First things to do then onto Ficth DI motors. http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do.

Good luck and post back what you find.

Located in Northern IL close to the WI border by fox lake.

I will run through the First things to do list and post what I find. the computer was already rebuilt on this one in 2007. I will report my findings asap.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    2007 is a long time ago, but the check engine light is actually a good sign. it's the totally silent emm's that are a problem.

you'll find some info on 447's pages on translating the signal output from the emm to useable code numbers to help track down the problem.

Ohming out the sensors could be easier, but not as productive.

you do not want to run these for more then a few seconds without water. That cools down the emm also..the components in there need water..or they go boom.

only use specified sparkplugs, substitutes are known not to work.

disconnecting the tps is the very first step in diagnosing a starting issue ( right behind making sure the right plugs are in use)

see you in a day or two..you gots lots of reading to do.

welcome to GH!

right after the tps, I'd give the cps a look..two most common failures from what I see..and I service ficth Polaris all the time here. We had a Polaris dealer in town for some time some the lake here is lousy with em.

I will have to start there tonight. k447-- do you sell/make the emm output signal tool? if not i will order the components from you other posts.

I hope me taking it out for the first time wasn't running too lean. was running perfect until it began to sputter and have no throttle response, would bog down and die.

Update:

Thanks to K447's EMM LED tool: 4 codes read out on this:

(1) hard code: EMM temperature sensor above expected range- ended up pulling all the cooling tubes: the T' fitting to the exhaust was plugged no water flow. problem fixed.
    Hopefully I didn't fry the electronics when I took it out.... fingers crossed....

(3) intermittent service codes.

12: Throttle position sensor circuit malfunction: I am assuming I should buy a new TPS: any recommendations on where to find these now? K447 picture is the one I have.
    47: Air temperature sensor circuit malfunction.
    49: Air temperature sensor above expected range.

Not sure how to address the air sensor issue: any part numbers/ guidance would be appreciated.

This is a great forum and much appreciated to K447 and his awesome knowledge.

The plan is to replace the TPS and air sensor then try to clear the intermittent codes and hope after 15 hrs of use the main check engine goes away. I will test the codes in between as well.

Thanks to all!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the exhaust temp sensor has been overcooked with heat it should be replaced.

Air temp sensor, check for damage from the flame arrestor cover cutting into the sensor top. Trim the cover's plastic web so it cannot touch the replacement sensor. Also make sure the connector is undamaged and fully seated into the sensor. Tricky to get at under the flame arrestor base plate.

The EMM and the MFI display will stop complaining about sensor problems the instant the sensors begin to behave. There are no stored codes that will affect the current operation of the engine. Hard codes are problems that are still happening, right now, and must be corrected before the EMM can properly run the engine. The minute the cause of the problem(s) goes away, the engine will now run normally.

If the main water feed tee was plugged up, also check for blockages in the smaller water fittings and hoses. Stator cover water jacket elbows in and out, for example.

Also remove and clean the exhaust water injector mesh screen filter and the injection metering orifice at the other end of the small water hose atop the exhaust pipe.

Ordered new parts today. K447 thank you for the advice. I went through the hoses it seems the only issue was from the EMM to exhaust drain. Would it be safe to assume all other items were being cooled? looking forward to seeing if EMM clears with the new parts. I will post once I know more. The temperature sensor did not have an damage from the arrestor cover. but I am still going to trim it for the new one.

+1
    Hello, I have a question about the '03 virage i . on the throttle position sensor does it have to b reprogrammed when changed?

10. +1 by:

Hi All,

Ultimate update. I replaced the TPS and the jet ski fired up and ran last year. On the last ride of the season it randomly died while driving. It ended up firing up and i drove it to the launch with no issue. Later that month i ended up winterizing both jet skis. tarped and covered them. Beginning of this season i uncovered them and started them both up for the first time. NO issues were present.

They sat outside for a week when the rain filled the runners on the jet ski. I ended up pulling them into the garage after emptying the water out and notied that one of the MFI displays had permanent black in the bottom left corner. (got angry and they sat a week). Prior to planning on launching I tried to fire this jet ski. had a low battery on the MFI.

Replaced the battery with a new one and the following:

It started up sputtered and died. second start up it ran and slowly died. and now it turns over and does not fire. After many starts it would run and start multiple times in a row with non issues. leaving it for ten min it wouldnt turn over. I am at the point now it will not start.

Fuel pressure is 22psi.
    I first read the codes and I had:
    44 and 49.

I disconnected the TPS sensor to see if it would run and it did not.

Second time i read the codes:
    i have 47, 29, and 12.

I also changed the start stop modules from the working jet ski to the non working-- didn't change a thing.

Also I swapped the ignition coils and the plug wires. and even swapped the spark plugs that work fine in the other jet ski.

no change and its still not running....

I am half debating swaping out the computers and the injectors to see if it maybe the EMM (last year it had a plugged hose and had a EMM temp on the high range and made the SLOW function kick on. i took it out of the water where i did the EMM tool test and saw it had a falty tps air sensor and high temp code. i replaced the TPS and the air sensor last year....
    Would a air temp sensor cause this not to run???

What direction could i take this?

Please help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information