Thread: Bad Starter?

+1

Bad Starter?

Last week on vacation the '96SLT780 ran like a champ.....until the 4th day. We went to start it that morning and nothing/Nada/No go. The only sound was a weak click of the solenoid. There is absolutely no activity from the starter. I have confirmed 12.5V at the battery (brand new in July), had the battery load tested and it passed with flying colors, there is good ground to the engine (0 ohms) and 12.5V at the solenoid. I thought the solenoid might be weak so I ordered a new one. With the new solenoid I now have a really LOUD click when the start button is pushed but still to activity at the starter. I also have good ground on the starter housing and with the button pushed I have 12V at the starter bolt.

Is it pretty safe to assume that my starter is bad? I really dread that because it means the exhaust pipe has to come off and that's a total pain. I really hate the way Polaris positioned the starter. GGRRRR!!!

I've posted a WTB for a starter in the classifieds. Also I've seen 'new aftermarket starters' on Ebay for $46. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FITS-POL...f6327e&vxp=mtr

That seems awful cheap when SBT is asking $129 for a starter. Any thoughts on these Ebay units?

Thanks guys.

KJ

+1
    Before buying a different one I would remove the starter & check it, make sure the starter drive isn't hung up. Starter might have a dead spot on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    Before buying a different one I would remove the starter & check it, make sure the starter drive isn't hung up. Starter might have a dead spot on it.
    If I'm going to the point of removing the pipe to inspect the starter, I might as well get a new/rebuilt/etc. one to replace it while I have it torn down. I'm really at a point between work and kid activities that I just don't have time to spare wrenching on toys. So, if I'm going to tear this thing down, I have to make the most of the time and be sure it's fixed. I can't risk possibly having a dead spot on the starter, it either has to work reliably or it has to get replaced. I don't have the time to tear this down, check things, only to have it fail again.

+1
    If all you are hearing is a click, have you verified the engine infact moves?....this could be something stuck in your pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    If I'm going to the point of removing the pipe to inspect the starter, I might as well get a new/rebuilt/etc. one to replace it while I have it torn down. I'm really at a point between work and kid activities that I just don't have time to spare wrenching on toys. So, if I'm going to tear this thing down, I have to make the most of the time and be sure it's fixed. I can't risk possibly having a dead spot on the starter, it either has to work reliably or it has to get replaced. I don't have the time to tear this down, check things, only to have it fail again.
    I have a good used starter (and bendix if needed) for you..... PM me if you need one or both....

+1
    [QUOTE=BlueFishCrisis;2610629 I have a good used starter (and bendix if needed) for you..... PM me if you need one or both....[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the offer. I found a line on a starter and it should arrive by tomorrow.

KJ

Thread Information