Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2015 VXR metallic noise when running over 40MPH

I don't mean to scare anyone off the new Yamaha line up, the timing chain issues going around from prior years may have that covered. I've just purchased a 2015 VXR. I've got this sound that mimics a metallic grinding noise at speeds over 40mph. The ski only has 8hrs on it. I purchased the extended warranty. I'm hoping what I'm hearing is the ski cutting through the water? Wondering if anyone else has similar experience? It's every run every time. I broke ski in per manual. At least with in 500 RPM of guidelines. The ski tops out 66MPH on GPS and feels good. I did grease the PTO bearing just incase. Although I've read that more to keep water out instead of bearings greased. I was going to bring to dealer for first service to get there input.

Well ski now has 18hrs on it. I did the first oil change at 15hrs. I used Pennzoil 10w40 non synthetic(still too early for that) and retrieved 3.7-3.8 quarts with jacking trailer on left side about 1 foot in air and dropping trailer nose on the ground. By jacking I netted an additional .7 quarts, oil color was on the Brown side for sure. No obvious signs of metal in oil. I'm starting to think noise may be speedometer wheel spinning. Next move is to remove wheel or restrict it's ability to rotate. I'll post more by end of the week.

I do not have an answer for your question, but I do have a question for you if you do not mind?

I have a 15 VXR as well and I am only seeing 61-62 MPH GPS. I only have 5 hrs on mine though. Did your ski pick up speed as hours increased?

Thanks!

I've seen 65.99mph on GPS on a lake with under half tank. I weigh 200 pounds.. I usually ride in the Hudson River which is usually choppy. I have never seen over 64 on the speedometer.it will flash between 58 and 62 usually. I just did my first oil change at 16hrs, used non synthetic oil. I'll switch to full synthetic at 50hr mark.i went with the 5 year warranty but there is no way I can wait that long for my quest for speed. I paid under 10 grand brand new for the VXR wanting the RIDE and the new design hull but part of me is thinking I should have bought a low hour used VXR of earlier, they were 4-5mph faster it seems. Good luck.

I don't know if my hearing got worse or the noise went away? All is good in VXR world. Just wish it went faster, maybe more wax on the bottom :/

Glad to hear your noise situation went away!

regarding speed, did you notice your machine pick up speed as hours accumulated on it?

Thanks

Not really no. It would tach out at 7500rpm when hours were low and still tachs out now at 7500. The VXR now has 23 hours on it. I just removed the ribbon and it feels more snappy for sure but top end won't change because of rev limiter. Increase rpm or prop is answer.

I only see about 7350 rpm on my ski. I wonder why that is? I need to investigate....

How are you determining that? I was just using rough estimate figuring tach was 1/2 way between 7 and 8. The digital bar design is not the most glance at speed friendly! Maybe my machine is only 7350 as well.

I was figuring each bar represents 200 RPM. It will normally be at 7200 and sometimes flash to 7400 so I was estimating it to be around 7350.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information