'02 GTX RFI in some sort of Limp Mode

Recently inherited this '02 GTX RFI. About 90% of the time, it won't go above about 3500 RPM. (Every now and then it'll open up and go like crazy, but within a minute or two it will go back to being limited to 3500). It's not struggling or missing or anything, just RPM limited. It's not a rectifier issue (replaced that first on the recommendation of someone else. Didn't help). When started up on the trailer it idles at about 2300, which seems normal.

Pulled the plugs and replaced them the other day and they looked like this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plugs.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	367590 (The forward cylinder is definitely blacker than the rear one). Any idea what might be causing this and how to check for it? (Local seadoo joint can't even look at it for at least another week).

+1
    Start with the basics, even with the added technology of the RFI injection you still need to start with a compression and ignition test to see both wires firing the plugs and know your compression is high enough to move on from there.

See if there is a local resource for reading the MPEM module it will show you all the occurred faults in the RFI system to date, if the issue lies anywhere there you really can't troubleshoot that side of the system without some help.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterluvr View Post
    Start with the basics, even with the added technology of the RFI injection you still need to start with a compression and ignition test to see both wires firing the plugs and know your compression is high enough to move on from there.

See if there is a local resource for reading the MPEM module it will show you all the occurred faults in the RFI system to date, if the issue lies anywhere there you really can't troubleshoot that side of the system without some help.
    Did a compression test first thing when I got it. 130ish in each cylinder. I know both plugs are firing at least intermittently since it will run normally on occasion. (I'll check them on the trailer tomorrow morning to make sure).

+1
    I'm having the same issue with my '04 GTX Limited SC and just took it to the shop to diagnose . I let you know what I find out when I hear from them.

Hello, any update on the cause of either of these two? I just started having the same thing on my 99 GTX RFI. Won't go over 3350 RPM. Thanks.

Thread Information