Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rectifier location on a 2009 rxt is 255hp?

Does anyone know where it is located? My Jet ski sunked and i got everything fixed now. Drained all the oil and got all the water out. I took it out on the lake and now it shows the battery and the engine light. I put a garden hose and it reads 12.6v while running. Does that mean low? What is it supposed to run at? 13.3v? I checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine. I am a car Mechanic so i am pretty handy. I guess a rectifier would probably fix my problem? Where is it located and what should it be charging at while running? Thanx for any input.

+1
    It's mounted on the air intake silencer next to fuel tank. You can access it from the front storage area, remove the bin and look under the steering column.

+1
    before you throw money at one, get your multy meter on to the harness. there is 3 wires running back to the engine stator/mag.. check resistace across the 3 wires.. got to be between 0.1 and 1 Ohm. if it is throw a rectifier at it.

Quote Originally Posted by steven mace View Post
    before you throw money at one, get your multy meter on to the harness. there is 3 wires running back to the engine stator/mag.. check resistace across the 3 wires.. got to be between 0.1 and 1 Ohm. if it is throw a rectifier at it.
    Where do I find this harness location? So if it is between 0.1 and 1 ohm does it mean I need a rectifier or doesn't need a rectifier? Thanx for your help guys

+1
    the Rectifier has two harness plugs i think. a 2 pin (goes to the battery) and a 3 pin plug (comes from the magneto pickup on the pto cover)
    can test the 3 pin harness at the Rectifier or from the harness 3 pin plug coming out of the pto cover (i think 3 yellow wires)

you are testing for a short or a brake in the magneto windings. the windings are like the wire windings in a alternator. if they become shorted to ground or broken it wont charge corectly.

just throw your ohm meter accross the 3 pins and make sure you get between 0.1 to 1 ohm. my old one had low 12v.. wasnt charging so swapped Rectifier and didnt fix it. took 1 min to put the ohm meter accross the pins. it didnt get any readings. was like there was a brake in the windings or harness into the magneto. pulled the pto off. put a new one in and off it went

+1
    new one measured 0.2 ohms

+1
    on the suspension ski it is located on the side of battery case

Quote Originally Posted by BEECHFRONT View Post
    on the suspension ski it is located on the side of battery case

1st it was reading 0.01 for a sec, now is reading 0. Does that mean i need a a rectifier?

Anyone can help would be appreciated. Is there a way to test the rectifier if i take it out? So if my reading is 0 that means there is a short somewhere in the wiring harness?

+1
    check the 2 30a fuses in the small fuse box that say's "charge" and "battery". Those will blow and give the symptoms you have. The fuses are located between the fuel tank & motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information