Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

emp and how to combat it

how would you get a more modern vehicle moving again after a emp?if you already had a spare emm protected for it,what else would it take out?battery,crank trigger?anything magnetic?

+1
    It depends on your car. Simple answer is no. Modern cars rely on to many electronic components. Relays, motors, circuits...... All gone. I would suspect the old point systems would be easiest to get going again. It will also be random, one chevy pickup will work and another down the block may be shot.

The charge delivered to the system from an emp is determined by wire length, diameter, composition. So motors with wound copper wires......bad news.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    so even the charging system would take a hit,starter,electric fuel pump,ign coil,thought it would only wipe out anything with a charge,ie battery,emm software,cell phone

+1
    Even if you have spare parts sitting in boxes, the emp will destroy them as well. I've heard a Faraday cage will divert the pulse, so maybe building a massive one around (behind Sheetrock) a garage will protect vehicles. I'm looking to build a new house and, despite my family's objections, am considering something like this.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Best to be prepared now and get a diesel now with no electronics or something else older with no electronics.

Top 10 Vehicles For Your EMP Survival

Also...

How To Prepare Your Car To Handle An EMP And Why You Shouldn't Bother

In my opinion I would think the roads would be so filled up with dead vehicles you better be able to offroad to wherever it is you need to go with your vehicle and have already done a test run on that offroad route to make sure it works.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Even if you have spare parts sitting in boxes, the emp will destroy them as well. I've heard a Faraday cage will divert the pulse, so maybe building a massive one around (behind Sheetrock) a garage will protect vehicles. I'm looking to build a new house and, despite my family's objections, am considering something like this.
    Lots of videos on youtube on how to make faraday cages. The key is having your stuff in it beforehand. lol. The metal garbage can faraday cages are pretty solid and hold plenty and are fairly cheap to make. Military ammo cans work well too when modified and work for smaller items and are easy to grab and go or to keep in your vehicle.

+1
    It will turn into a fire cage during a strong emp

Underground is best

+1
    An atv would be best or an older Mercedes diesel. They are all mechanical engines. In fact when you turn off the key it uses vacuum to mechanically cut the fuel.

I loved my Mercedes diesel wagon. All vacuum door locks even the trunk lock worked. Lock the drivers door and they all locked. Only the starter and charging system to go bad.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    After an emp, I'll have far more important things to do then worry about bugging out. Time for that came and went.

I have a shelter in place plan in the event it happens during the overnight sleeping times.

We have a good chance of being hit, since the white sands missile range and all of it's juicy classified stuff isn't 40 miles from here as the crow flies.

The only survival plus I have is a very low population density here. So not that much competition for resources.

11. +1 by:

+1
    An emp can come from the sun as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information