+1

Question Anyone been ticketed for mirror size while towing a skier?

Howdy fellow Texans. The Wife and I wanty to try some new skis tomorrow, but we don't have a spotter to ride along on the VXR. Texas regs say you need a spotter or mirror at least 4"x4" in size. The mirrors on the VXR are fine for width, but only 3 3/8" high. Anyone heard of Johnny law writing a ticket for mirror size while towing a skier, or am I over concerned?

+1
    I think you are over concerned, you have dual mirrors which give you more than 4x4 coverage.

I will say that in all the years I have been riding on lakes I have never been pulled over for anything while on a Jet ski. And I hate to say this, but was out on Possum Kingdom lake few years back ('94 IIRC), lake was near vacant and I am heading in after a tanks worth of water time. I see a couple of trees out there and decide to split them, just as I get there I see above the water by about 3+ feet a fishing line loaded with hooks, in that instant I hit the line with my right arm first and it takes me off the ski for a split second then breaks. I look down and there is blood EVERYWHERE. My right arm has a to the muscle cut about 4 in long and hook gouges across chest and other arm.

I get to my ski and head out to the ramp I suddenly see boat with markings that tells me this is the law, I chase them down and ask if they have a first aid kit...after some huma huma and looking at their toes they say no, one of them is clearly EMBARRASSED! The other one wants to play John Law and wants to see my Fire Ext, registration and a laundry list of stuff...I got blood running down to my elbow and into the top of my shorts, I tell him YEA, I got it and I need to get to the ramp, I am losing a lot of blood, see you later bye...and off I went. To say I was shocked when a boat that large with 3 John laws on it and clearly marked and equipped for law enforcement not having a first aid kit...

Sill have the scars. So now I carry a First aid kit with me.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Oaks View Post
    I think you are over concerned, you have dual mirrors which give you more than 4x4 coverage.

I will say that in all the years I have been riding on lakes I have never been pulled over for anything while on a Jet ski. And I hate to say this, but was out on Possum Kingdom lake few years back ('94 IIRC), lake was near vacant and I am heading in after a tanks worth of water time. I see a couple of trees out there and decide to split them, just as I get there I see above the water by about 3+ feet a fishing line loaded with hooks, in that instant I hit the line with my right arm first and it takes me off the ski for a split second then breaks. I look down and there is blood EVERYWHERE. My right arm has a to the muscle cut about 4 in long and hook gouges across chest and other arm.

I get to my ski and head out to the ramp I suddenly see boat with markings that tells me this is the law, I chase them down and ask if they have a first aid kit...after some huma huma and looking at their toes they say no, one of them is clearly EMBARRASSED! The other one wants to play John Law and wants to see my Fire Ext, registration and a laundry list of stuff...I got blood running down to my elbow and into the top of my shorts, I tell him YEA, I got it and I need to get to the ramp, I am losing a lot of blood, see you later bye...and off I went. To say I was shocked when a boat that large with 3 John laws on it and clearly marked and equipped for law enforcement not having a first aid kit...

Sill have the scars. So now I carry a First aid kit with me.
    Good example of just how quickly things can go wrong. Good idea on the 1st aid kit. Think I'll put one together.
    I thought about the dual mirrors. I guess it's just one of those technical regs that you could be cited for for the cop is not happy with you for some reason. Learned a long time ago that arguing with the police is counterproductive

5. +1 by:

Thread Information