Wave Venture 1100 problems :(

So towards the beginning of last summer,my parents gifted me their old ski as it had been a couple years since it had been used and was getting pretty rough... So it's been a little bit of a restoration project for me, after buying new seats, various trim pieces for it ect... finally i have what looks to be a respectable ski..

So to start off i flushed the fuel and oil, put a new battery and plugs in it and took it out to the lake. Well She smoked like a freight train, and had a horrible hesitation... way worse than it ever was when rode it growing up... but once you worked past the hesitation it would hit WOT, and around 50-55mph no problem but ran pretty darn good I rode it a hand full of times last year and decided i would just mess with it this spring.

So spring turned into July lol. But to get to the point i decided to rebuild the carbs, (they were pretty rough). While doing the carbs i also decided to convert it over to Premix. and replaced all the fuel lines between the carbs while i was in there.

Well a few weekends ago i took it out to the lake and she fired right up idle'd great. with very little smoke so i got out on the water, hit the throttle an no hesitation it took off to WOT, like a brand new ski... i did a few donuts and everything seemed to be running perfect... well about 5min into being out on the water. I was at WOT, and the ski just lost power dropped to about 40mph, then died... It would not start back up immediatly, but after a few attempts it did. At this point it had a really bad hesitation like before i could work it up sloly to WOT, but after about 10-15sec's of this it would die... So i took it home after reading some posts, i replaced the fuel filter, which looked clean, and replaced the check valve to the fuel tank along with making sure the line was clear.. took it back to the water, same thing it ran amazing for about 5min then flat out died. the difference though was at this point it could not even work past the hesitation to get it to wot... I litterally had to hold the throttle at 3/4 mark with the choke almost fully pulled just to barley keep it running around 5-10mph to get it back on the trailer.

So just looking for some advice to see if any one has any thoughts???

did you check your spark plugs? whats the compression on all 3 cylinders? I'd say doing those 2 first if you didn't do that. I think you went straight into rebuilding the carbs and not even checking it for compression and spark plug color for each cyl.

I think that it seized on you temporarily. Probably from lean carbs.

just a thot, bypass your check valve completely, it saved me a lot of troubleshooting when i did that and its easy;
    gas tank/filter/carb,( i kept my reserve line wired to the check valve for my primer however, and just leave the switch in the off position so as to get pressure)

also check the pickup filters inside the tank if it happens to have them, an easy overlook

i dont know, i would see who else has advice to offer but its an easy test that can potentially bypass your problem and help the troubleshooting process.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by nicklong View Post
    just a thot, bypass your check valve completely, it saved me a lot of troubleshooting when i did that and its easy;
    gas tank/filter/carb,( i kept my reserve line wired to the check valve for my primer however, and just leave the switch in the off position so as to get pressure)

also check the pickup filters inside the tank if it happens to have them, an easy overlook

i dont know, i would see who else has advice to offer but its an easy test that can potentially bypass your problem and help the troubleshooting process.

Good luck
    I already pulled the hat assymbly out of the tank, it did not have any filters on it, I was able to blow through all the fuel lines pretty easily, so far all the fuel lines have been replaced except the return line to the tank, also when it was running very poorly on the lake, I did reach up over the handle bars and unscrew the gas tank lid, no vaccum to it and it didn't make a difference...

I still plan on doing a compression test. But at this point I think it has to be down to fuel pump issue, or Ignition issue.

I have a 97 wave venture 1100 that I rebuild carbs and was having problems running and had to replace fuel pump but not sure it would be intermittent. Mine had problems even idling. Its about $60 to change get a new one so might not be a bad idea to change anyways. Maybe open up the carbs and check the individual filters. Might be that with the old tank you had some gunk in the bottom. other than that I would check compression ASAP so that if it is a piston seizing you don't make more damage.

So i was able to check compression tonight, it was damn near right on 120PSI for every cylinder, so looks like i am good there. But i will say all of the plugs were very very fowled... not suprised as i had choke pulled and the thing at 3/4 throttle for a good half mile just to make it back to the dock last time i rode it... So i bought new plugs and am going to go ahead and run new fuel line for the last of the system i have not replaced. I am going to rebuild/replace the fuel pump. but i am leaning more towards a ignition issue. Coil cutting out when it get hot....somthing along those lines ect...

+1
    If you had to choke it to get it to continue running you don't have an ignition issue. It's definitely fuel related. I would pull the fuel selector switch and check for a blockage, and then check/repair the fuel pump.

Thread Information