Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Please help diagnose power problem

I bought this ski last summer and it run perfectly except I would get a 12v low for the first twenty minutes and it would go away. I tested the battery (good) and at 12.6 - 12.7v, verified I had output of 14.3-14.4v so rode for the rest of the season. I've worked a lot of 6 day weeks this year so was late getting in my first ride. So I take it out for the first time 3-4 weeks ago and it didn't want to get any more RPM's than about 6300 for a couple of minutes and finally cleared up and ran like it should. After the first ride I decided to go ahead and replace the regulator/rectifier beofre my next ride so when I took it out the second time I was still getting the 12v low message (again I verified correct output) but it would only turn about 3500 rpm's and run about 7-10 mph, giving more throttle had no affect other than change the engine tone slightly. I pulled it back out of the water and decided to put the original reg/rec to see if this was my issue since I'd done nothing else. Not knowing if it was SC related I pulled my SC and sent to Jerry for rebuild. So I get it all back together today and take it out and after warming it up a little and I was experiencing the same 3500 rpm issue, then it cleared up but would only run about 6400 and then start acting up again. I changed my key to see if that made any difference which it didn't so I brought it home and checked the fuel pump fuses, pulled the recently changed plugs and found them dry and sooty. I replaced the plugs with a new set and took it out again and am still experiencing the same 3500 rpm issue. I am getting no codes or warnings other than the 12v low warning.

Has anyone experienced this or can offer any advice for things to check? It's an '04 GTX SC LTD.

Thanks,
    2kflhr
    Last edited by 2kflhr; 08-07-2015 at 09:45 PM.

+1
    Have you replaced ot had the battery checked - i dont see where you mentioned if you did or not, i have had strange issues with a weak battery

+1
    Is the ski charging the battery? If fuses are good and you've replaced the voltage regulator then the stator might have a problem. Low voltage may be messing up the ECU and in turn engine performance.

Test the battery, it should be mid 12V with the ski off and above 13 with the ski running

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mlgarner View Post
    Have you replaced ot had the battery checked - i dont see where you mentioned if you did or not, i have had strange issues with a weak battery
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Is the ski charging the battery? If fuses are good and you've replaced the voltage regulator then the stator might have a problem. Low voltage may be messing up the ECU and in turn engine performance. Test the battery, it should be mid 12V with the ski off and above 13 with the ski running
    Thanks for the replies!

I had the battery (X2-LA30) tested towards the end of last season as part of my troubleshooting for the "12v low" warning and it tested good. I frequently test the voltage sitting and right now is at 12.71v, every time I've checked it running it's always between 14.2-14.3v so I don't think that's the problem. The ski cranks right up each and every time with no drag whatsoever. The oil is dead in the middle of the bends when warm and I always run Shell non-ethanol fuel in it. At about half throttle I'm turning right at 3450 to 3500 rpm's and am perplexed as to what is going on and want to try to figure it out before taking it to a dealer and get reamed since I just dropped a few bills on the SC rebuild, rec/reg.

+1
    do you have a multy meter? test the mag/stator.. maybe make sure all the earths on the block are all good.? so your testing the voltage on the battery?

so rpm issue. is it missing? does it free rev over 6000 out of the water? crook coil? fuel filter blocked? empty the fuel and run fresh fuel? making any other noises? pump bearings starting to sieze holding engine back? just throwing ideas out there. does it idle fine?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steven mace View Post
    do you have a multy meter? test the mag/stator.. maybe make sure all the earths on the block are all good.? so your testing the voltage on the battery?
    I have a Fluke 87V. I haven't tested the mag/stator (I will have to figure out how to test it). The earth grounds appear to be good. I'm testing at the battery terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by steven mace View Post
    so rpm issue. is it missing? does it free rev over 6000 out of the water? crook coil? fuel filter blocked? empty the fuel and run fresh fuel? making any other noises? pump bearings starting to sieze holding engine back? just throwing ideas out there. does it idle fine?
    I felt a slight and very random miss when trying to get back to the dock running it at the 3500 range, have not tried free rev out of the water on the hose but will today. I haven't checked the coil (have to figure out how to test). I considered draining the fuel which was filled with fresh fuel several weeks ago and refueling (I believe the fuel filter for the 4-tek is in the tank so will have to figure that one out as well). Not sure about the pump bearings (not sure how to check that). It idles fine.

I'm new to Sea-Doo's so know little about them but willing to learn. I had a Polaris SLTH for about 14 years and it never gave me a minutes trouble. I understand that was not the case with many Polaris machines but I never did more than changed the fuel lines and the plugs in it.

Thanks for the assistance!

Speaking about plugs.. Have you tried a new set of plugs?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by martfart View Post
    Speaking about plugs.. Have you tried a new set of plugs?
    Yes, They only had several hours on them but I pulled them and replaced with a fresh set.

I don''t have a CanDoo or other Sea Doo specialty tools so I just took it to CS Performance which is local and I read is a reputable dealer. I'll post what I find out.

+1
    Did you "load" test the battery or just verify static voltage?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dpracing View Post
    Did you "load" test the battery or just verify static voltage?
    It was load tested and tested good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information