Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2002 STS 900 rebuild!!

I recently bought a 2002 STS 900 for $350. Problem was the first cylinder had 0psi and the other two had 100. So I talked him down to $350 and started this project. All he knew was that the oil line had come off and pumped oil into the hull and of coarse running the piston dry. I will post some of my pictures I've taken through out the process and now waiting for the machine shop to finish boring the cylinders to 74mm. (1 over standard)

How can I post pictures from an iPhone?
    Last edited by Jamull2852; 08-06-2015 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Picture problem

I have plenty pics if someone can help and tell me how to load with an iphone

+1
    Tapatalk. You can add pics directly from your phone

Here's a picture of the ski

I'm going to need help with a few things before I go to crank it up.

1-I'm going to order the oil block off plate, but where exactly does it go and I also read somewhere that this could cause an alarm to go off due to the oil?

2- is their anyway to test my digital gas gauge? When I turn the key on just one red light comes on for about 5 seconds then goes off. It's the warning light I'm pretty sure.

3- their is some oil in the crank case, so I should drain as much as I can, correct?

4- should I leave the oil tank and oil lines in the ski if I won't be using it? Just put the plate then leave the rest alone?

I'm pretty sure I can get it running again, hoping the dash meter works also that would be awesome bc the rest of the ski is in really good condition. I checked two fuses one said MAIN and one said CLOCK they were both good.

+1
    1. Why remove the oil injection system? I'd just replace the lines and secure them properly. Also replace the oil pump drive coupling bearings. If you insist on pre-mix, just remove the oil pump drive coupling altogether. Hang onto it in case you change your mind later or when you sell it.

2. The red light is a general warning light. It comes on for low fuel, low oil, low voltage, overheat. Check that all segments on the display come on and the display itself should be OK. To check the sender, you'll either have to put fuel in the tank and try it, or remove the sender from the tank and test with an ohmmeter.

3. Given the damage to the engine, you should thoroughly flush the crankcase with solvent to get all metal particles out. The crankshaft must turn smoothly or you'll tear it up again. After you flush it out and dry it, squirt 2-stroke oil on each bearing. Don't worry about excess oil, it will burn off.

4. Your choice here. I'd leave them just in case you get tired of pre-mixing.

5. You ARE going to overhaul the carbs, right? That one looks like crap.

6. New head on order?

+1
    I personal think that the motor needs to be torn down and cleaned. You see those two holes on each side of the piston, in the block? Those are oiling holes for the crank bearings, and it looks to me that there are metal flakes sitting in their feed channels. The only way to get it truly clean is to tear it down completely. And, it may have damaged the lower rod bearing in which case you will need to have the crank rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    1. Why remove the oil injection system? I'd just replace the lines and secure them properly. Also replace the oil pump drive coupling bearings. If you insist on pre-mix, just remove the oil pump drive coupling altogether. Hang onto it in case you change your mind later or when you sell it.

2. The red light is a general warning light. It comes on for low fuel, low oil, low voltage, overheat. Check that all segments on the display come on and the display itself should be OK. To check the sender, you'll either have to put fuel in the tank and try it, or remove the sender from the tank and test with an ohmmeter.

3. Given the damage to the engine, you should thoroughly flush the crankcase with solvent to get all metal particles out. The crankshaft must turn smoothly or you'll tear it up again. After you flush it out and dry it, squirt 2-stroke oil on each bearing. Don't worry about excess oil, it will burn off.

4. Your choice here. I'd leave them just in case you get tired of pre-mixing.

5. You ARE going to overhaul the carbs, right? That one looks like crap.

6. New head on order?

The only thing my gauge cluster does is show the red light. Nothing else on the display appears. I checked one fuse that said CLOCK and it was good. Anymore fuses I'm missing?

I'm going to flush the crank out but everything turns really smooth and theirs no play in any of the bearings so I prolly won't tear it down completely.

the dirty carb picture was before, the clean one was after. I did take apart one and was surprised how clean it was. I will not rebuild them right now I will try and see what happens first because they honestly very clean in the inside so thinking they were just rebuilt recently, but to remove them and rebuild won't be hard to do after.

And my machinest said he will smooth out the high spots on the head where the bad cylinder is. He said it shouldn't be a problem, so going with his word. We'll see.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information