Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lake temperature affect head gasket?

I have a 2007 RXT with approx. 60hrs on it. On our holiday vacation last year to a mountain lake we brought the jetski. The lake had a wide river feeding it and was safer to be on the estuary part because of the size of the lake. I encountered a variance in the temperature of the river due to glacier melt into the river. After the first day of riding,I did a morning pre-trip and noticed my coolant reservoir down/almost empty. I added coolant to the full level and drove the next day without a problem.
    I only got to take it out at home one more time(and forgot to check coolant level).I have yet to take it out this year,due to work commitments,but doing the pre-trip ,I noticed the coolant level at the minimum mark.
    I added coolant and will try the jetski on the water when I get back home.
    But I'm concerned........is the head gasket gone?...I checked the oil and it is normal level and no "milky" colour. I run a graco strainer so I feel confident that the ski is running at normal temperatures and the intercooler is clear of debris. no overheating issues/alarms. power seems ok too.

Would a head gasket failure at 60hrs be abnormal? I always warm the unit before any WOT.....and it is well taken care of. I thought that maybe the very cold glacier water of the river/lake may have caused some kind of issue with the water intake being to cold when it reached the intercooler?

any thoughts?

Bruce

+1
    The water temp would not affect the coolant at all. It iseither the early stages of the head gasket going, or you have a coolant leaksomewhere. Typically, it is the head gasket though unfortunately. Mine went ataround 100 hours.

+1
    Make sure the coolant bottle and oil cooler lines aren't crossed. They both go into the side ports of the thermostat but the bottle one should be going to the one closer to front of the ski and the oil to the rear one.

+1
    i dunno, one year at mud bug it was so hot that i actually blew my gasket really good with no sings of issues prior. granted i was holding WOT for some time during a race but im sure heat will play a factor if the lake temp cant cool the closed loop system enough

ok,thanks for a few ideas to look at.....was reading it may also be a stuck thermostat.......which may be the case......as it sits more than I would like it too,between Canadian weather and work commitments. I wish there was a local seadoo mechanic that was solid.....the dealer here is kinda sketchy.......good for basic stuff.
    I will give it a run when I get home in a few days and go from there.....there is no oil in the coolant reservoir,so that's a good sign,but will start reading up on how-to's for repairing(just in case).

+1
    temperature can play a big roll in tuneups when tuned near the ragged edge, but a stock ski should not be affected a whole lot as they are usually tuned pretty conservative from the factory unless you ski is heavily modded? Check to see if you have any coolant in the oil or if the oil looks milky. Also make sure its not something simple like a leak in one of the hoses/loose clamp or something of the sorts.

+1
    also check the ride plate under the pump for leaks if none is found in the hull

+1
    Tape a small (see thru) coke bottle to the resovoir's overflow tube. If its a headgasket, It will blow past the cap into the coke bottle while on boost or @ WOT.

If the bottle stays dry / empty , then you have a hose, or clamp loose somewhere , that's leaking into the hull. the Self bailers will usually take most of the coolant out of the hull, but not all. Look on each side of the pump tunnel for coolant puddles.

Is it stock , Or modified ?

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Tape a small (see thru) coke bottle to the resovoir's overflow tube. If its a headgasket, It will blow past the cap into the coke bottle while on boost or @ WOT.

If the bottle stays dry / empty , then you have a hose, or clamp loose somewhere , that's leaking into the hull. the Self bailers will usually take most of the coolant out of the hull, but not all. Look on each side of the pump tunnel for coolant puddles.

Is it stock , Or modified ?

it is OEM stock,except for a graco strainer for the water intake and a bilge pump. The engine has not been touched other than replacing the ceramic bearings in the S/C and oil change/service.

It is run in lakes that have clear water and I always do a flush after at home just to make sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Tape a small (see thru) coke bottle to the resovoir's overflow tube. If its a headgasket, It will blow past the cap into the coke bottle while on boost or @ WOT. If the bottle stays dry / empty , then you have a hose, or clamp loose somewhere , that's leaking into the hull. the Self bailers will usually take most of the coolant out of the hull, but not all. Look on each side of the pump tunnel for coolant puddles.
    That is a very good tip! I think I'll do that to mine just to monitor such an issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information