Worx intake grate on my 2015 STX-15F top speed loss

Installed a Worx intake grate on my new STX-15F it definitely hooks up better all round but I have lost some top speed in smoother water. I guess I am trying to get the best of both worlds as I was happy with the top speed with the standard intake grate but in rougher water it would always come unhooked! Has anybody out there modified one of these grates to give you top end speed but also keep it better hooked up in rougher water than with the standard intake grate?

I was thinking about modifying the scoops by making them smaller.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Then you loose hook-up. Some cut middle bars out of stocker and call it a day.

Thanks for your response, I was thinking about cutting off the outside scoops on the grate and polishing it up as well as polishing the ride plate and seeing how that goes. I love riding fast but I also love riding in the surf as well! I am trying to set it up to get the best of both worlds!

+1
    I did that with a Worx grate, cut the outside scoops off, still too much speed loss, I lost over 2mph with this setup, & it felt like I had a small anchor attached to the ski. I also tried cutting the middle bar out of the stock grate, this gave a very slight better hookup in rougher water, but at a slight loss of speed in smooth water less than 1/2mph, but it also allowed a stone in when I was in shallow water, that would not have fit it the middle bar was in place, $130 to have impeller redone. The best setup it the stock grate, unless you ride in rough water all the time. I went through this with Polaris watercraft in the 90's, I had a pail full of them & pretty much the same thing the stock grate was the best all around one.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    This is what happens when you sacrifice hook-up for speed. And the all the AM wing and scoop grates will allow larger debris to enter the pump.
    If you ride in rough stuff a lot the scoop grates rock. You will actually have better average speed using them over a long haul.
    If you ride in rivers and lakes they rock, just in a different way. Allowing rocks in.

+1
    It's not just hookup but it keeps ski planted in corners as well. Mate happy to lose top speed if a grate helps me get there quicker. In reality how often are you cruising at top speed

+1
    In reality how often are you cruising at top speed[/QUOTE]

ALWAYS! one lake I ride on, I get out of the no wake area & its full throttle for nearly 20 miles, but yes if you are riding in competition where quick acceleration from marker to marker is important a intake grate is a help, since is can really get rough. If you have a ski you can change the grate quickly, if the water if rough that day you can put a different grate on, but the 15F is not one of those skis, it a 1 1/2 hour job, & then wait overnight for the silicon to cure.

I have now cut the outside scoops off the Worx intake as well as polishing it and the ride plate. It still stays hooked up and accelerates way better than the standard intake but I have also gained more top end speed so I am very happy with the result! I think I have the best of both worlds for rough water and smooth! I will have to GPS the speed so I can have an accurate reading as the speedo range is from 90 to 108 kph now (it went up to 112kph with the standard intake). I know the speedos are so inaccurate on these skis but any feedback or thoughts will be appreciated.

Thread Information