Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wear Ring Lube?

Wear Ring Lube?

Is it recommended or even possible to lube the wear ring to be sure it gets seated all the way in? I've never changed one and I'd really hate to get this one wrong

+1
    Sounds kinky............................................. .......but no.

Freeze the pump for an hour and the wear ring will slide right out with 2 pairs of vice grips clamped on the opposite edges. Freeze the new ring and it will go back in easily with a rubber mallet.
    Last edited by Ski Hacks MG; 08-05-2015 at 10:28 AM.

+1
    I've read that using a little liquid soap helps, but I did one a few weeks ago and it slid in pretty easy after freezing it. I would think that if you use an oil or grease to lube it up, it may spin in the pump. The soap would probably rinse out with a little riding time.

Ok I'll get it in the freezer. The other question is which way does it go in? One end has a lip and the other doesn't. The one I took out didn't have a lip. Did I get the wrong one?

Anyone?

lip out...its what creates the seal against the hull/shoe....you trying to remove/install wearring with impellor still mounted? Also, i would think, freezing both impellor and wearring at same time, and trying to remove w.r., would be the same if left at room temp. Now, freezing the w.r. to install it, that works. Once at room temp, it'll snug up perfect within the pump.....maybe with heatgun/hair dryer, heat up outside the pump, and then try removing w.r....i find to just remove impellor, grab the jigsaw, and have at it at the w.r., to remove ur...

+1
    Bee, do it as described below. The ring shrinks but the pump housing does not

Remove stepped rubber pump seal from pump housing as well as pump cone, freeze pump assembly for an hour, set on floor or in a vice, grab the old ring with 2 pairs of vice grips and pull straight up. The wear ring will pull right out. New wear ring needs to be frozen as well so that when it warms up (after you have tapped it down into pump housing, it expands back to normal size and it will seal tight. USE A RUBBER MALLET to seat new ring. I've done it many times and it works every time. I've only done it with the impeller still installed 3 times and worked just as well as with impeller out.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeEl View Post
    The one I took out didn't have a lip. Did I get the wrong one?
    It's probably been changed before. Most aftermarket wear rings don't have the lip.

I already have the old one out. Yes, I removed the impeller to do so. Ring is frozen and I'll be putting it in tonight. I noticed the manual said to use Loctite 598 around bailer and inlet fittings. Is there another more commonly found sealer I can use? Average Silicone? I have some clear Loctite silicone. This 598 stuff isn't easy to find locally.

what yr is your ski? you may also need the neoprene seal, to seal pump to hull. as for the silicone, if your ski is pre-97, i use just that,..silicone. Just need to make sure the silicone is completely around the barbs, for when they're inserted into hull, iut creates the seal. The neoprene will seal the pump.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information