+1

Rapid beeping, no system activation, 2003 XP Di

2003 XP Di...when lanyard is snapped on, I get a rapid continuous beep (about 2 beeps per second). It will sometimes stop but if I move the key and push, it will start beeping again. I can make it start and stop beeping by pushing harder on the lanyard. Thought it was the DESS post so I replaced with new and it still rapid beeps. For every beep, the bilge pump will activate. The gauges do not light up nor does the fuel pump run. Things I've done:
    - New DESS post
    - Tried reading faults with a CanDoo system but it keeps failing. I was able to program a new key and it acts the same.
    - Replaced battery (12.7V available)
    - Checked all fuses on the MPEM and in the coil box.
    - Unhooked the bilge pump (no beeps or anything with bilge unhooked, everything dead).
    - Disconnected the VTS system, acts the same with it disconnected.
    - Verified the bilge pump works (applied 12v, it runs fine)
    - Disconnected fuel pump, no difference
    - Disconnected every connector, looked for corrosion, reconnected them.

I suspect the owner charged the battery while connected in the ski and I found that the positive terminal wire was attached but loose. That's when I put a fresh battery in.

MPEM?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiNut View Post
    2003 XP Di...when lanyard is snapped on, I get a rapid continuous beep (about 2 beeps per second). It will sometimes stop but if I move the key and push, it will start beeping again. I can make it start and stop beeping by pushing harder on the lanyard. Thought it was the DESS post so I replaced with new and it still rapid beeps. For every beep, the bilge pump will activate. The gauges do not light up nor does the fuel pump run. Things I've done:
    - New DESS post
    - Tried reading faults with a CanDoo system but it keeps failing. I was able to program a new key and it acts the same.
    - Replaced battery (12.7V available)
    - Checked all fuses on the MPEM and in the coil box.
    - Unhooked the bilge pump (no beeps or anything with bilge unhooked, everything dead).
    - Disconnected the VTS system, acts the same with it disconnected.
    - Verified the bilge pump works (applied 12v, it runs fine)
    - Disconnected fuel pump, no difference
    - Disconnected every connector, looked for corrosion, reconnected them.

I suspect the owner charged the battery while connected in the ski and I found that the positive terminal wire was attached but loose. That's when I put a fresh battery in.

MPEM?
    Maybe the MPEM.

But before replacing the module why not remove it from the ski and get it on the bench and isolate it from the harness and test it that way. I hook up power and ground, a dess post, beeper and momentary switch to the start/stop circuit and that get's you to the point where you'll hear the normal two beeps and can test for power on the signal output to the starter motor relay.

You can also access it with your Candoo at that point as well if the module is still good.

+1
    Good suggestion, thanks. If there is an ancillary component malfunctioning (fuel pump, vts, etc) that will eliminate that item from the equation.

My buddy suggested that it appears that the bilge is providing a surrogate ground for the system since everything is dead when the bilge is disconnected. I plan to double check all grounds tonight.

Thanks again.

+1
    Problem is not the MPEM.

Can anyone tell me... on the 03 XP Di, is there a ground wire attached to the threaded stator housing tab as on the carb models? This ski has an SBT engine in it and you can see that there once were some wires attached but there are none currently. I've searched for any loose wires but can not find any and the schematic does not indicate that there should be.

Can anyone verify?

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wire.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	367717

+1
    No not on our XPDI surf boat.I know there is 2 ground wires that attach to the engine to the battery.One is the main ground and the other is minor.Trace the minor ones back and they should go on to the engine block just under the throttle bodies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-08-10 14.58.36.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	367772  

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	di beeps.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	367789

+1
    Found the problem. It was the cut off relay that is mounted in the cover of the coil/starter relay box in the nose of the ski. Part number 278-001-784. It energizes the system when it is triggered by the DESS key.

The relay is in the same circuit as the bilge pump. The bilge always has power to it so when the key is snapped onto the DESS post it is back supplying power to the system in the absence of the 12V from the relay creating the short continuous beeps. I bypassed the relay and I get the normal two beeps and the fuel pump runs.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

9. +1 by:

GGG

Thread Information