Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flush out/ Salt away

So I bought my '12 RXTX 260 AS in 2013 as a 2012 holdover, it was purchased in ohio and has only seen freshwater...only have 15 hours on it, i also have Riva stage 1 done.. Moved down to the space coast in florida in december. Seems like noone rides ski's like we do in ohio, marina's don't have jet ski docks, don't carry high octane etc, but my biggest concern is flushing my ski. I think i'm going to put in water this coming weekend. I live right on the Indian River and the water is considered brackish. I'm also a 10 min ride to the ocean if I dare. The closest ramp to me is about 15 minutes away and they don't have a flush out station. My question is 2 fold, 1. How much time do I have before thiings would get ruined if I can't flush for say 30-45 minutes till i get home? and 2. Should I be flushing with salt away? I know these sound noobish, but I'm new at this game and there aren't any reputable shops in the area. So I figure I'd come on here since this is easily the most helpful forum.

PS. Anyone around the Space Coast in florida?

+1
    I don't believe waiting an hour to flush would be harmfull, I use a Salt Away product for the flush and also to rinse the ski and motor, can't hurt and inexpensive. Most the saltwater boaters I know use it.... next day I mist engine with WD-40....

3. +1 by:

thanks, thats the only thing thats really prevented me from riding it..looks like its time to take it out and enjoy it..lol

+1
    I ride salt almost exclusively. However, with every ski I've ever owned I stop by a fresh water canal on way home for a quick ride/flush. I prefer this method as I don't run the risk of overheating the carbon seal and water gets everywhere. So if you can find a fresh water canal, you would be better off doing that.

Under the seat I spray it down with a heavy oil based lube - "Corrosion Stop" at HomeDepot. WD40 is fine but it washes off each and every ride. I also use Salt-Away but pour it over the engine the instant I pull out of salt ramps and leave about 1.5 gallons in the bilge for during the ride to fresh water.

This may seem like a lot of work but salt can do damage if not properly taken care of. Riding in ocean makes these extra maintenance steps sooooo worth it that if I only had fresh water to ride in, I'd take up another sport (at least here in Florida). The ocean is so beautiful and always feel privileged riding in it - especially the areas we have down here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corrosion stop spray.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	367357  

+1
    here where i live, there are no fresh water canals for me to run the ski in. sometimes it takes 30 mins+ for me to come home from the launch after running in strictly salt water. i never had issues once related to riding salt and taking time to get home. the ski gets a full washdown on the hose. you should be fine and have no issues as long as you run the ski after pulling it out the water to try and clear the engine of any left over water (short revs). go enjoy the ski on the water, that is what it is meant for.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by reactorpwr View Post
    run the ski after pulling it out the water to try and clear the engine of any left over water (short revs).
    I'm glad you brought that up (I forgot). To be clear the only thing you are clearing out is the waterbox. The mistake I see many at boat ramps make is they go nuts on the throttle (hitting rev limiter). Sometimes I think they do it for attention (face palm). This gets the exhaust VERY hot and ends up creating an internal salt steam vapor that ends up coating the back-side of the valves (or seats). All is needed to clear out is a steady engine run to around 4k or 5k (2-seconds).

+1
    I ride saltwater exclusively.... you're not going to hurt anything waiting till you get home to flush the ski.. I never run the ski after pulling it out of the water, I wait till I get home to hook it up to the hose.
    I usually stop at a DIY carwash on the way home to rinse the ski after I pull it out of the water.
    It costs me $3 and I use high pressure soap to wash the outside of the hull, the jet pump and the trailer (and the underside of the rear of my tow vehicle) then rinse with high pressure water.. finally I spray the engine compartment with low pressure fresh water for the trailer ride home. (the drain plugs were opened right after I pulled the ski out of the water)

when I get home, I use salt away to flush the exhaust, then I use the leftover salt away to spray off the motor and flood the hull.. then I put the trailer jack all the way up and put a cinder block under the wheel to tilt it back to drain the water out of the hull through the drain plugs.
    doing it this way is very quick and the inside of my hull and motor still look brand new!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtheway View Post
    Anyone around the Space Coast in florida?
    Space Coast'r here. I ride at least once a month, year round.

Usually ride between Melbourne and Vero Beach.

You may have already discovered that on the weekends, the Sebastian Inlet is very popular with many skis and boats hanging out at the sandbar.

Plenty of water front restaurants in the area, too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post

You may have already discovered that on the weekends, the Sebastian Inlet is very popular with many skis and boats hanging out at the sandbar.

I'm sooooo jealous of you Fla guys! I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post

I live up in titusville, but work down in melbourne...yeah hear about sebastian all the time...its a bit of a trek for me to go that far, I'm close to the cape/port as well. Do you know of any reputable service shops in the area? Or any marina's that have the jet ski drive up docks?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information