So I thought I blew up my Spark this weekend...

Yeah, so I was screwing around on my spark this weekend. There was about 6 of us. We were all cruising along and we all turned in to hit a wave, well I didn't move after turning around. I heard this awful grinding/scraping noise coming from my spark.

I thought it was a crank bearing that just let go... I'll be honest, I was freaking out!!!

So I had it towed back to the cottage and put it up on my home-made Seadoo lift, took a flash light, looked in the impeller and bingo...I somehow managed to suck up a 6" pine cone.

After carefully attempting to remove it whilst I tried not to damage the wear ring, I finally got it out. Dumped it back in the water, put that VTECH Sport mode into use, and gave it all it had to blow out any more crap in the pump.

Happy to say that all is well now. But, it was frightful!

+1
    Cool story bro. It's always a settling feeling to fix something so simple, and for FREE.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Here is a tool you may want to keep around to get debris out of your pump.
    http://www.truckspring.com/products/...#product-specs

+1
    How's your wear ring ?

Quote Originally Posted by Meen66 View Post
    How's your wear ring ?
    It's fine, surprisingly! Thankfully I don't have to dish out $ for the SS.

+1
    I sucked up a rope coupe weeks ago, wrapped atleast 30 times around the shaft before I shut the engine down. and got stuck between the blade and wear ring, my top speed it still at 50 with no cavitation so im just going with it. I think the wear ring is a little tougher than people give them credit for. glad to hear yours is ok. its amazing the things you can stuck in their that are native to the water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dolson View Post
    I sucked up a rope coupe weeks ago, wrapped atleast 30 times around the shaft before I shut the engine down. and got stuck between the blade and wear ring, my top speed it still at 50 with no cavitation so im just going with it. I think the wear ring is a little tougher than people give them credit for. glad to hear yours is ok. its amazing the things you can stuck in their that are native to the water.
    Here's an old school tip for you:
    -if an end of the twisted-up rope is able to be grabbed, remove the spark plugs (removing compression) and pull the rope out. Nothing stopping the prop from turning backward now.

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dolson View Post
    Here's an old school tip for you:
    -if an end of the twisted-up rope is able to be grabbed, remove the spark plugs (removing compression) and pull the rope out. Nothing stopping the prop from turning backward now.
    That's great if you immediate shut it off IMMEDIATELY and it doesn't get past the area where you can see underneath your hull.

But the issue is that where you can't see and it gets sucked up beyond that point

You got lucky with that pine cone

Thread Information