Can someone diagnose a problem for me? :)

Two problems actually. I have a 2006 RXP and when I push the START button to start it, it will click but not crank. Usually if I do this a few to 10 times, it will eventually crank and starts great. But for some reason, I need to push the button a few times usually and all I get is a click sound when I do. My fear is that one day, it will just never crank. I have replaced the battery and still have the same issue.

Problem #2 is... Under hard acceleration, it makes, what to me, sounds like a grinding sound for a split second off and on. It idles and cruises just fine but seems to get "grindy" when it tries to get up on plane quickly.

Thanks for any and all help. It is appreciated as always.

+1
    Very easy fixes.

Problem 1: replace the starter relay. It's item 20 on this page of the forums online store
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....ATTERY-HARNESS

Problem 2: The grinding sound you are hearing on hard acceleration is likely due to cavitation. Your wear ring is most likely shot. Your wear ring is item 2 on this page of the forums store
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TEM---EXTERNAL

Hope that helps!
    Jerry

You are awesome sir! I had a SeaDoo mechanic tell me two years ago that he wanted to replace the ring but he said I did not absolutely have to because the ski still would hit 69mph and therefore I could put it off. So I did. Perhaps the time has come. Is the Starter Relay something I can replace myself? I change my own tires and oil but I am not a mechanic.

+1
    Both the wear ring and starter relay are very easy items to do yourself. Plus you have this forum to rely on for help and advice. You can't go wrong

I don't know... If I had a YouTube step by step video for the ring and it did not require special tools (I don't know if it does or not), I might try that myself.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by InsideTrader View Post
    I don't know... If I had a YouTube step by step video for the ring and it did not require special tools (I don't know if it does or not), I might try that myself.
    This how to thread on the forum will help you
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=536

I really appreciate all of the help. My Starter Relay arrived in the mail today. I will install it and let you know how that goes.

Mr. Hulk,

Early indications are that you are brilliant. I installed the new solenoid and it started beautifully. Yesterday I started it twice and it took almost 5 minutes of pushing the start/stop button to get it to finally crank both times. I really appreciate the help!

Thread Information