Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Virage TXI 1200 Polaris

Just got it, won't start, only fires, misses, spits, intermittent, fluctuating spark. New coil, wires, plugs. Timing seems to be fluctuating. CDI module? Any way to test it? New battery and module replaced a couple years ago says the old owner. Seems to be cracking spark at coils but everything is clean and with one new coil. The coil was replaced because of broken ground straps. Excellent compression and 35psi rail pressure. Any suggestions? If the module is bad where is the best value on a good one? Live right here in Polaris land of 10,000 lakes. Thanks, Geedo

+1
    It is probably an EMM. Call http://www.fichtemmrepair.com/
    615-707-1273

The guy is right to the point and does not mess around. He will be able to diagnose it over the phone. Trust him, he wont screw you. He is honest and fast. Lucky for you my threads over the last year has covered most running issues on the same ski. I swear the guy that owned it before me was trying to rebuild it from used parts that were all NFG.

1200 Virage

Is this thing going to run? Seems like a money pit. Gotta get ahold of this dude. Nobody seems to know "JACK" about these things. There's nothing like 130 hp on the water, bro. There is just NO replacement for displacement. Thanks.....awaiting his call back, I'll let you know what happens. Did you see the guy riding his dirt bike out with the surfers? Sweet.......why didn't we think of that? You just put 120 hp on a couple skiis with some way to steer it and its gotta float. We race snowmobiles on the water up here, they weigh 600 lbs.Takes about 180 hp, thats all. Thanks, Geedo
    Quote Originally Posted by 48Straight View Post
    It is probably an EMM. Call http://www.fichtemmrepair.com/
    615-707-1273

The guy is right to the point and does not mess around. He will be able to diagnose it over the phone. Trust him, he wont screw you. He is honest and fast. Lucky for you my threads over the last year has covered most running issues on the same ski. I swear the guy that owned it before me was trying to rebuild it from used parts that were all NFG.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Geedo View Post
    Is this thing going to run? Seems like a money pit.

Gotta get ahold of this dude. Nobody seems to know "JACK" about these things.

There's nothing like 130 hp on the water, bro. There is just NO replacement for displacement...
    The Virage TXi is a nice machine, handles nicely and is fairly fast. Easy starts, no carbs to maintain, no choke, not even a fuel valve.

That said, there are a number of common issues that need attention. All of them must be dealt with if you want it to become reliable long term.

The Ficht EMM repair is a common issue across the Virage and Genesis fuel injected models. Once repaired properly it should be good for years.

The EMM is on its way to Texas for upgrades, it has already been replaced once and it looks like hell, what a mess.....guess they let anyone work on these things. It never surprises me what I find being a marine repair tech. If they let these guys maintain airplanes, no one would ever fly. They'd be dropping out of the sky. Thanks pal, it is a nice machine, just needs some proper care.

+1
    Hey Geedo,
    the reason why I chose the 2001 Virage was that it was one of the first direct injection skis which means you can ride it in National Parks. To me it is a "couch" but by today's standards it is more like a love seat. If it wernt for my 56 year old blown out back I would still be riding my Kawasaki 550 right now. It is sitting on the side of my house and I am sure I will be jumping it again in the next few years. Right now I dont think you can give those skis away.

I want HP, a small hull, reliability, something I can work on by myself. Dont let my problems discourage you. I had many systems that had catastrophic failures that could not have all happened at the same time. How can you have a woodruf key sheer, an emm go bad, a fuel pressure valve and now possibly a fuel pump all go legs up at the same time? Just one of these issues would have kept the ski from running so how did the others go bad unless you were buying bad used parts.

From what little I have ridden my ski it is fun and turns tight with no splash back. It may not be as pretty as the new skis but for the difference in price I can buy an entire fleet of Virages, have a better time, and not make any payments all winter long on a ski I cant ride. Well I have been known to ride when it is snowing out, I have a life preserver winter coat and it works well.

Keep us informed Geedo.

P.S. while you are waiting for your EMM to get back check out K447's primer on getting your Virage ready to ride. There are a few things you need to do before you put the EMM back in and put her in the lake. Never turn on the water when running on a hose first, deadly.

Right. So what is the procedure to test run? What shall I do to prepare the machine? I'm getting about 30 to 35 psi fuel pressure while cranking, is that within specs? What is the recommended octane for this beast? How about head torque? The guy before me had it all apart, apparently he thought it had low compression on one cylinder. The engine is pristine, the guy was an Amsoil user. I have great faith in the "snake oil". We built dirt track engines for years and our best dyno numbers and show numbers were with Amsoil. Its made right here in Superior WI.

+1

The engine is pristine, the guy was an Amsoil user. I have great faith in the "snake oil". We built dirt track engines for years and our best dyno numbers and show numbers were with Amsoil. Its made right here in Superior WI.
    Some of us have moved away from using synthetic oil. I used Amsoil for a number of years. The lubrication was fine, but the oil film tended to thin out during storage, allowing surface rust on bearings and cylinder walls. Not always, but sometimes. Synthetic 2-stroke oil seems to burn incompletely.

These big 2-stroke watercraft engines need not just lubrication, the oil must also burn cleanly. And it must coat and protect the moving parts during shutdown and storage.

I now use Legend ZX2R oil. It seems to burn more completely and produces less exhaust soot. When an engine is taken apart that has been using the Legend oil there is a very oily coating on everything, which is what you want. Even if the motor has been sitting for months.

+1
    Right. So what is the procedure to test run? What shall I do to prepare the machine? I'm getting about 30 to 35 psi fuel pressure while cranking, is that within specs? What is the recommended octane for this beast? How about head torque?...
    Head torque sequence and numbers should be found in the Tech FAQ sections or via my signature links.

30 PSI of fuel pressure is high. If your 30-35 reading is accurate it suggests there is no actual fuel flow through the return hose and pressure regulator. The Polaris Ficht fuel pumps typically have a stall pressure of about 30 PSI.

I recommend 89 octane or higher, especially if there is ethanol in the gasoline. Personally I use 91 octane premium, in part because that is the only way i can buy gasoline without ethanol.

Prep for testing? I suggest strapping it to the trailer front and rear, then backing it down the launch ramp until the jet pump intake is well submerged. Take the seat off. Now you can run the engine as long as you need and monitor the engine bay. You can even apply throttle. Make sure there is no loose debris underneath the hull that could get sucked into the jet pump.

While running on the trailer at the ramp, look for water leaks, exhaust leaks. Monitor engine and exhaust temperatures with your hand. You should be able to touch any portion of these without burning your skin. Make sure the idle is stable and when applying medium throttle the engine sound is consistent. It should not waver or sputter. At very high throttle levels there may be surging as the jet pump intake causes turbulence and sucks in some air.

Note the steam coming from the exhaust. There is water injected into the exhaust system to cool the exhaust gases and it exits the hull with the exhaust flow as steam.

On a normally operating Ficht engine there should be little to no exhaust smoke, even when started from cold. These fuel injected 2-stroke engines run fairly clean. If there is a lot of exhaust smoke then the oil pump is out of adjustment or something else is wrong.

Thanks and great advice. I am involved with Amsoil as not only a dealer for 35 years but as a tech too. I will present your info to the group when I am there this month and see what they think. Perhaps the synthetics you have seen the deposits from, and lack of off season protection, were not 100 percent Amsoil users. Amsoil does recommend the fogging oil they offer for off season storage because of the leaner ratios we use on the pre-mix oils, as well as their knowlegde of storage issues. In order to run the last of the fuel out, and fog the final seconds, you have to know your motor. With a carb, I generally let it die out with fuel supply line off, then restart with choke then quickly fog with the last burst of energy. This goes with what you said about lack of protection off season with synthetics. The lubrication is more than adequate but will not stand the storage time.
    Regarding octane.....yes, 91 is where we are here in Minnesota to get the pure fuel, "non-oxy". Of course not all premium grades are alcohol free, there has to be a sticker on the pump telling you its non-oxy premium. Some stations share the same hose with ethanol, so you have to run about a 2 or 3 litre amount into another container first 'cause you don't know for sure what the last grade was run through the hose unless you check the pump for last sale. I love ethanol, it gives me more repair business than you can imagine. Thanks, Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information