Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

97 Seadoo Challenger carbon seal leak

When I move the carbon seal and stainless steel ring up and down, water starts pouring in through there. Does not leak while the boat is running. Is this normal or a problem?

Yes that's normal. Does it leak just sitting in the water with the engine off? If it does, then that's definitely a problem. The carbon ring is a "wear item" like brake pads on a car - they need to be replaced when they're worn. That ring is what keeps your boat from ending up in the bottom of the lake - so its important to check!

Does not leak when motor is off and boat is in the water. How do I move the carbon ring and stainless steel ring up a notch? Can this be done while boat is in the water?

That rubber boot acts like a spring and pushes the carbon ring against the stainless ring to keep water out. There is a little bit of adjustment where the rubber boot clamps onto the carbon ring - you move the boot back a little to make that whole assembly longer, compresses the rubber boot more, which puts more pressure on the face of the stainless ring.

But, from what you described you're not having any issues - so l'd leave it alone. If you want to mess with it - post up a pic first so we can see it before you do anything.

I will post a picture once I get back on the boat. Everything on the driveshaft looks good and secured tight (carbon ring, stainless steel ring and boot bellow). Adjusting the carbon ring or replacing it is my last attempt to fix the cavitation issues I've been facing. The boat runs great and gets up on plane with no issues when it's just me in it. As soon as I load another passenger it will not get on plane and linger at 15 mph 5000 rpm. I have already replaced the wear ring and there was no improvement.

+1
    What is the condition of your prop? That is another major source of cavitation.

Impeller is almost perfect.

+1
    Did you check the gap between impeller and wear ring?

I did not personally measure the gap but I'm assuming the shop that put it in did.

+1
    That would be the best place to start. Never assume, call the shop and ask them if they measured gap. When I install a wear ring or prop for someone, I always record the measurement for my customer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information