Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    414
    +1
    33

    Guess I'll be going to Sea Doo after all...

    So after many years of not being on a ski, I purchased a fuel injected GTX beater for my girls. It runs like a raped ape but the body is beat to hell. (good thing I'm in the bodyshop business...lol)

    Anyway, I was going to go back to what I'm use to... Kawasaki. I was going to purchase a 310R but after riding a 310X and a RPX-X, I've decided to stick with the Sea Doo. I really wanted a Yamaha but at the end of the day, my bodyshop does all the paintwork for the local Sea Doo dealer and they're less than 2 miles from my shop.

    So I guess I'm going with the RPX-X.

    I do have a question for ya'll though. The sponsons were set for sport. If I was to raise them to freestyle, would the ass end slide around easier?

    One of the things I've come to realize not having a ski since my Ultra 150, the days of light, flickable skis are gone. I love top end but I love to play as much and I'm hoping the RPX-X with sponsons up does allow me to do that.

    Hope to learn something from ya'll...


    Thanks,

    Mark


  2. #2
    yes that should help some but nothing will be like the old x-4 hull or even ur 150.

  3. #3
    Sanfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    S/E Florida
    Posts
    2,540
    +1
    780
    Yes, raising the sponsons all the way up will greatly loosen the ski. Have a friend that rides his '12 like that since he had it new.

    Personally, its like ruining what the ski was designed to do but if thats what you want, go for it. Me, I've always ran very aggressive sponsons on my sitdowns because I prefer the sharp handling - currently, I made custom aluminum ones for my PX and are not only mounted at the lowest point, they stick down lower.

    BTW: The manual says you must dispose old sponson bolts - must use NEW when repositioning. That is complete B.S lawyer talk. I've had mine on/off 9 or more times without issue.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    414
    +1
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Yes, raising the sponsons all the way up will greatly loosen the ski. Have a friend that rides his '12 like that since he had it new.

    Personally, its like ruining what the ski was designed to do but if thats what you want, go for it. Me, I've always ran very aggressive sponsons on my sitdowns because I prefer the sharp handling - currently, I made custom aluminum ones for my PX and are not only mounted at the lowest point, they stick down lower.

    BTW: The manual says you must dispose old sponson bolts - must use NEW when repositioning. That is complete B.S lawyer talk. I've had mine on/off 9 or more times without issue.

    I know what you're talking about but unless I'm buoy racing, I think it might be the best of both worlds for me for now.


    Quote Originally Posted by 16foxracing16 View Post
    yes that should help some but nothing will be like the old x-4 hull or even ur 150.

    Yeah I'm finding that out... the skis of yesterday are just that... old school. Like I said above, hopefully it'll be a happy medium.



    Mark

  5. #5
    ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lake Havasu, AZ
    Posts
    3,024
    +1
    849
    Does it have to be a 'full-size' ski?

    "light & flickable" does exist, just not in the big skis.
    ...my GTR hasn't seen the water since I got my SPARK.

    alot of people 'poo-poo' the SPARK, hell, I was even skeptical, at first...

    I bought the 60hp/2-up; added V-tech; am freakin thrilled with it.
    thats it, just the v-tech tune, so far.
    power-to-weight is right there with the GTR, but for some reason, the 'squirtability' of the SPARK is just off-the-hook.

    Guy in the U.K. has a high-boost SPARK runnin 75 @ 9K

    ...just had to throw that in there since you mentioned 'flickable'...
    it really is a capable lil platform.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    414
    +1
    33
    Actually, I was keeping an open mind and did look at the Spark. My issue was I was thinking top end wouldn't be very good. I guess I want my cake and eat it to.

    Thanks!

    Mark


    Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    Does it have to be a 'full-size' ski?

    "light & flickable" does exist, just not in the big skis.
    ...my GTR hasn't seen the water since I got my SPARK.

    alot of people 'poo-poo' the SPARK, hell, I was even skeptical, at first...

    I bought the 60hp/2-up; added V-tech; am freakin thrilled with it.
    thats it, just the v-tech tune, so far.
    power-to-weight is right there with the GTR, but for some reason, the 'squirtability' of the SPARK is just off-the-hook.

    Guy in the U.K. has a high-boost SPARK runnin 75 @ 9K

    ...just had to throw that in there since you mentioned 'flickable'...
    it really is a capable lil platform.

  7. #7
    ProZadoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    399
    +1
    59
    I have them on Freeride and it's a blast... with the right body distribution it slides like crazy. It's very playful and just plain wet fun... and I even do 240s! I cannot imaging riding ANY other ski.

  8. #8
    Sanfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    S/E Florida
    Posts
    2,540
    +1
    780
    One thing is for sure, its amazing how much it changes the handling raising it from middle to top setting - which is only 5/8" higher!!

  9. #9
    If you bought it for your 'girls' ...... most of the ones I know don't like the higher speeds, they do like ones like the Spark. Having gone from an RXP-X to a 310 Kawi myself, the things I like most is the smoother ride without the teeth shaking plastic parts vibrating around. The power is about the same, with the Kawi having an ear piercing s/c whine. Plus the Seadoo needs an s/c rebuild sooner, just around the time I sold mine .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New to Sea Doo - questions on break-in
    By paulgray in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
  2. new to sea doo
    By pepp101 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 05:07 AM
  3. New to Sea-Doo...but liking it :D
    By Schwarzenegger in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 11:16 PM
  4. New to Sea-Doo, 1995 XP 800 ?'s
    By Ibreakstuff in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
  5. could this be the 06 sea-doo??
    By two2curupt in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •