+1

question bout carb plate install xlt 1200???

I did an engine swap on XLT 1200. When removing carbs from engine there was only 1 gasket between carb plate (holds the 3 carbs in a row) and manifold plate. There was no gasket underneath the silver manifold plate in between this plate and reed boxes. I ordered an install gasket kit from SBT and it came with #2 intake gaskets that have the same hole pattern as the original that came out of the original engine. The original gasket was kind of a rubber feel type gasket and the new gaskets that came from SBT are a bit different in that they have a paper type feel to them.
    I called SBT tech support and asked them where the 2nd gasket would go and they informed me that i am supposed to install a gasket in between the reed boxes and manifold plate, and the 2nd gasket between the manifold pate and the carb plate.
    My issue is that if i install a gasket between the reed boxes and manifold plate is that it just doesn't seem correct in that there was no gasket there to begin with when i took engine apart and that the new gasket seems to have a paper type feel to it and if the gasket ever fell apart, it would end up being sucked into the reed boxes. there just seems that there would be too much of the gasket exposed to the reeds.
    I am adding a pic of the carb plate that i am speaking of. I agree with the gasket going between the silver plate in the picture and the carb plate which i would install next. but the question is if there should be a gasket underneath this silver plate. If anyone would like to see a picture of the gasket in question, please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	367284  

+1
    Attachment 367286
    In the top left corner of this pic is the old gasket that originally came out. Like i mentioned before, this is a rubber type gasket and the new ones have a paper feel to them. But as u can see, the gasket has the shape of the carb plate that hold the 3 carbs together to make 1 unit. The reed boxes have a fairly big rectangle opening on the side that the silver manifold plate goes over, so i don't see how installing this gasket in between reeds and silver plate would do any good...

+1
    I checked the diagrams, and it indeed does NOT show a gasket between the reed cages and the carb spacer plate. I checked my GP1200R, and it looks like there is no gasket there. I checked my tech manual, and it does not show a gasket. You have raised a very good question that I would like to have an answer to! Hopefully someone can chime in. I have yet to rebuild one of these motors,

+1
    negative the reed plates have a rubber gasket built in just clean up starting at the crank cases and use three bond 1211 lightly to seal rubberized portion of reed to case and reed to silver aluminum reed plate that holds the reeds in.
    after that on some gpr and laterms xlt's yamaha had a spacer plate about 1/4 inch that went in between the reed plate (silver) and carb plate that's why you have two gaskets. without the carb spacer you only use one gasket.

Thread Information