1994 and 1995 seadoo xp purchase

Hey guys, new member here. IVe owned a few PWCs in the past, but just want to get a heads up on this. Looking at buying a 94 and 95 pair of XPs. 717 and a 657. Guys says one needs a wear ring, and the others VTS doesnt work. I can get them both and a double trailer for $1500. Guy says he hasnt used them in a couple years but claims they run fine. He said I can listen to them on the hose, and ill probably get a test ride at the lake near by. He has performed a compression test for me and sent the pics to me via cell and each cylinder on both skis range 123-128ish. I wanna say the 717 engines should have around 135-150 correct? Anyways if all is well, do you guys think this is a good buy? i can post a link for you guys if you wanna see them.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    I'd think so...
    pics would help too.

+1
    Price depends on your location. Remember these are 20+ year old skies and I am sure you will need to be putting a few dollars into them: gauges, fuel lines, oil lines, carbs rebuild, pump rebuild etc... the 717 and 657 are good engines. Very dependable. Single carb, easy to work on. The hulls are light and manuverable for exciting fun at the cost of stability. Very tipy at idle speed, tough to reboard, not an enjoyable 2 person ski, wont pull a skier, tube etc... legally in most states.

Was compression check with throttle open or closed? Open will show less numbers. The compression number are not new ring compression, but should run well at these numbers. Poor compression could result in poor idle. In any case a water run would answer many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    Price depends on your location. Remember these are 20+ year old skies and I am sure you will need to be putting a few dollars into them: gauges, fuel lines, oil lines, carbs rebuild, pump rebuild etc... the 717 and 657 are good engines. Very dependable. Single carb, easy to work on. The hulls are light and manuverable for exciting fun at the cost of stability. Very tipy at idle speed, tough to reboard, not an enjoyable 2 person ski, wont pull a skier, tube etc... legally in most states.

Was compression check with throttle open or closed? Open will show less numbers. The compression number are not new ring compression, but should run well at these numbers. Poor compression could result in poor idle. In any case a water run would answer many questions.
    i had a 95 xp before. i was expecting to replace all fuel lines, clean out fuel selectors, internal carb filters, wear ring on one of them and replace the vts module and or use "trimfix". However i figured for the wife and i at a cheap price and good winter project it would probably be worth the money....hopefully.... link is here....
    http://hickory.craigslist.org/boa/5147692405.html

+1
    They look like nice skies for the age. Should be a fun project. They generally are fairly inexpensive to repair. Fresh water is always a plus!

ill prbably go for it. i do all my work on everything so maybe ill run them some this summer/fall and pull the heads and cylinders off and see how everything looks...may do rings, or a complete piston, wrist pins, rings, etc.......

last 717 i had had a bad seal on the rotary.

Thread Information