Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jet pump bearing

Lately, or actually since the second ride of this season i have noticed a strange sound from the jet housing. I installed a solas 12/17 impeller and a riva ss wear ring in the off season. So I just thought it was the impeller scraping against the new wear ring and where thinking that after a while the sound would be gone, that the impeller edge would be grinded down until it was bearly not touching the ring. But now, after about 4 months and 25 hours later the sound is still there... Im starting to think it is the bearing in the jet pump that is not working properly. I Don't think i remember the sound from the first ride iff the season but i know i heard it at the second, which makes sense. The water would leak in the first ride, and sit on the bearing for some time(destroying it) and then on the second ride the bearing would be shot and make that sound. It seems to get loud enough to be heard at about 5000rpm and gets louder all the way up to top rpm. Whats your thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this? Is it still the impeller and the wear ring? I think the impeller i received got damaged while shipping if that has any input, search this forum "impeller/wear ring sound" and i have a video posted of the impeller scraping the wear ring. Ill try to capture a video of the sound tomorrow.

+1
    The pump normally makes a small grind noise but when you rev it a little it should almost goes away.

But you say you hear it to 5000 rpm I would take the pump out and re check the solas install for something gone wrong

Quote Originally Posted by xdrian View Post
    The pump normally makes a small grind noise but when you rev it a little it should almost goes away.

But you say you hear it to 5000 rpm I would take the pump out and re check the solas install for something gone wrong
    I know it makes the little grinding noise, at low rpm. But i hear it above 5000 rpm, not under. I will check the pump as soon as possible

+1
    If you do take your pump apart please can you post the number on the main bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by grantuk View Post
    If you do take your pump apart please can you post the number on the main bearing?
    You mean the part number? Sure, but you can find it at seadoowarehouse.com

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickspark View Post
    No I mean the bearing number not the Sea-Doo part number.

The bearing number will be a universal bearing code stamped onto the actual bearing that will allow you to source one from alternative suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickspark View Post
    No I mean the bearing number not the Sea-Doo part number.

The bearing number will be a universal bearing code stamped onto the actual bearing that will allow you to source one from alternative suppliers.
    Ahaa, understand

+1
    on a Pump side note

I have changed my over from grease to oil at 50hrs now @176hrs and running fine.

Why I didn't like the grease method as its static and if it comes out doesn't go back in the bearing.

I had a old 97XP and it was a piece of shit always braking down but the only thing that never had problems was the pump.

It was oiled filled and worked like a charm.

My Honda R12 was the same set up grease I also changed to gear oil over 400hrs no pump problem at all.

The resins I like gear oil over grease

If you get any water in it will show oil will be milky

Gear oil is much easier to change tip upside down 1 minute it out then refill

The oil will flow around and lubricate the seals better so no rust on shaft

The shaft will always be running in oil

It will keep the bearing cooler buy transferring the heat to the pump housing

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by xdrian View Post
    on a Pump side note

I have changed my over from grease to oil at 50hrs now @176hrs and running fine.

Why I didn't like the grease method as its static and if it comes out doesn't go back in the bearing.

I had a old 97XP and it was a piece of shit always braking down but the only thing that never had problems was the pump.

It was oiled filled and worked like a charm.

My Honda R12 was the same set up grease I also changed to gear oil over 400hrs no pump problem at all.

The resins I like gear oil over grease

If you get any water in it will show oil will be milky

Gear oil is much easier to change tip upside down 1 minute it out then refill

The oil will flow around and lubricate the seals better so no rust on shaft

The shaft will always be running in oil

It will keep the bearing cooler buy transferring the heat to the pump housing
    Sounds likes oil is the way to go then, how much do you fill up with, and wich oil? Seadoo jet pump oil?

+1
    I use any good gear oil but you can use the seadoo stuff will do

The hardest thing to do is to get the old grease out if you have taken out the shaft for any reason just remove the grease then.
    If not I just pored petrol down the bearing a few times spin a few times then turn upside down to get most out you can.
    Mine originally didn't have much grease to start with once you get as much out as you can turn upside and fill to the top of the casting then fit the cone will contain air so gives plenty room if the oil expands.

You will find the first oil change will have a mixture of oil and grease mix but will come out easy for next time I do mine 50hrs could let go to 100hrs but the first time I would do early to check all is OK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information