Which used waverunner to buy?

I'd like to get something to; tool around on small lake, pull tubers, and let the kids take out. We have a inboard ski boat but its built for going straight and steady so pulling tubers is a workout for the driver.

I know I want; used, spend $4-7k, 3 seater (pull tube/ski), and 4 stroke (save on gas).

Don't need a supercharger; not into top speed, something extra to break (seadoo?), don't want the kids to get into trouble, and there's a 40mph limit on our lake anyway.

I'm 6'7" and 250lbs so I was thinking I need more than 110hp when trying to pull tube/skier. So I was looking at fx ho's or gtx 155's. I read the fx has a better hull than vx for lake chop.

I'm also having a hard time trying to figure out which year/model have which options. Here are the options I'm interested in; rpm limit mode/key, trim, tilt steering (cruiser?), boarding step (cruiser?), cruise control (starts in 2008 so probably out of price range).

What years/models would yall recommend or which to avoid? Thanks for the help...

+1
    I would look at the 2005+ FX Cruiser HO.

Thanks CCW, I read the cruiser seat doesn't work well with tall people causes it forces you too close to the handlebars. If I bought a used seat, would a non-cruiser seat fit on the cruiser model?

+1
    Then look at the non-cruiser. You don't want to get into swapping seats. Nobody will want your Cruiser seat if you don't but yes, the Cruiser seat is hard on taller guys.

So I found a 2006 HO Cruiser 90hrs today for 5k, but the seller did not have it titled in his name. He said I could get it titled but I think that's called title jumping and is illegal in my state, so I passed on it.

Then found a 2007 Cruiser 140hrs for 4500 which has 140hp, not the 160hp of an HO. Will I miss that extra 20hp because of my weight?

+1
    Agree that at 6'7" you do not want a cruiser seat. At 6'1" I hate them.

As for 140hp vs. 160, it will only come into play when trying to pop a skier up.
    Adjust your trim full nose up and stand back on ski to get to plane quicker and you should be good.

I must sell my 07 FX HO with only 60 hours as my wife let me get a 2011 FX SHO cruiser, (dang that seat!). You close to North Carolina?

I wound up buying a 2007 FX Cruiser for $4300, $700 cheaper than the 2006 HO I was also looking at. The built-in seat bolster/backrest on my Cruiser is very soft and I can sit on top of it and barely notice its there. Thanks for the help...

+1
    Congrats.

I'm 6'3", 245lbs and I find the seat on my FX HO Cruisers very comfortable while riding.

Interestingly though, what I don't like... Is when I stop for a break to just chill, the seat is not comfortable on my back when I lay down. That's when I wish it was flat. Lol

Thread Information