+1

new engine install 01' XLT 1200.... help for 1st start

I just finished engine install on my 01 XLT 1200 PV. Is there anything that i should do before i hit that start button for the 1st time? Any way to prime engine maybe? Is there anything that i should look out for in particular. Hopefully all goes well and it will run perfect. Any suggestions would help. This is my 1st time doing anything like this.

I do put a tablespoon of premix down each plug hole before starting for the fitrst time. Dont turn the ware on the flush hose until the engine is running and turn off before you stop the engine. Prevents a water flooded situation.

+1
    I always use a good dosing of fogging oil to get one primed and fired off.

+1
    Pre Mix or oil injection? If oil injection make sure you bleed and prime the system.

+1
    premix.

+1
    just poor some 2 smoke oil down there and then add a little extra to your gas for breaking in the engine, one started and sure it's not going to stall turn on water usually a valve on the end of the hose will help. than check for leaks, rattles, smoke etc etc on the hose. than take to ramp back in the water while leaving straps on and fire it up with seats off and recheck again.

+1
    For the absoulute best protection during break in, I recomend using or supplimenting your 2 stroke oil with one that is castor based. I've used Benol from Klotz with great results. When castor is heated, the molecular chains change and become more and more slippery as temps go up. A chemist once told me, "if you use a castor based oil, your oil related problems will be over" He is local to me and the owner of Powermist Racing Fuels. (bike guys will know the company) The only issue using it all the time is it can gum up stuff like powervalves and it smokes like a chimney. As for protection inside the engine there is no equal. Klemm Vintage (GroupK) has found similar results with the castor statements above. Not speaking for him, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe WFO is a user of castor for his break in's as well.

+1
    run the first premix tank at 32:1 and put a cap full of two stroke oil down each cylinder, pure oil. You want everything soaked real well for the first start. keep rpms low for the first run. bring it up to temp, dont let it idle for any extended amount of time. Varying throttle, for the first run up i usually do idle to 3000rpm. Once cooled, check head torque. Then back it into the lake and load the pump, fire it up and warm it up again. Adjust your idle, once its hot take it out for a ride, keep it under 5k rpm, varying throttle for a tank full avoid idling or holding a constant rpm. After the first tank you should be good to ride normally. I keep my load low and hard riding low for the first 4-5 hours of running.

Everyone has their own way, this is what works for me. I call a motor good to ride when the compression is even at the expected values, with this motor thats around 120psi per hole if all stock.

Thread Information