+1

MSX 150 reverse lever motion (engine on vs engine off)?

I've noticed my reverse lever doesn't easily reach (or can't reach) the "full on" position when under power. With the engine off it moves smoothly. Is this normal?

+1
    Same here. Thrust resisting the bucket from completely blocking it... vs none when engine not running. I can get mine to "thunk" into reverse if I pull hard enough. But definitely not as smooth/easy as when engine is off.

I don't often use full reverse. I blend part-forward, neutral and part-reverse as I slow speed maneuver. I love having the reverse lever on the left. Don't like how many skis still put reverse lever on the right.

I also find it fun at slow speed... gotta opposite steer when in reverse to point the ski. Switching between forward and reverse... having to steer back and forth accordingly. Getting it right is satisfying. I guess all the new skis have electronic slow speed steering assist...

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    I've noticed my reverse lever doesn't easily reach (or can't reach) the "full on" position when under power. With the engine off it moves smoothly. Is this normal?
    Check whether the reverse cable adjustments length are correct. If there is not enough cable slack at full reverse position then the detent/latch mechanism at the handle end can bind. On the MSX 140 there is a length adjustment at the rear end of the cable.

When working properly the the handle should move easily in and out of full forward or full reverse position, yet at the actual bucket it should not be possible to force the bucket to move out of position.

On the MSX 140, Virage and Genesis it is quite common for the pinion shaft of the reverse lever mechanism to swell slightly and bind inside the plastic bore. The Weber model's MSX reverse mechanism behind the handle is different, but I mention it here for others. I have posted how to remove the reverse lever shaft and sand it down to regain just enough clearance to allow the handle to move smoothly. When working properly it should only need two fingers to move the reverse lever. If not corrected there is a risk of breaking the detent latch inside.
    Last edited by K447; 08-03-2015 at 12:12 PM.

+1
    Thanks rip and K, as always I appreciate your thorough replies. My reverse mechanism behaves exactly like ripcuda describes, easy to reach the full reverse position with engine off (and smooth doing so), much more difficult with engine on). Seems like the nature of the MSX 150/110 mechanism. Side note, I still find it strange that the 140 uses a different mechanism, with the same hull...shrug.

+1
    The 110/150 reverse mechanism is much simpler and smoother in operation. However, the angle of where the reverse cable attaches prevents it from being used in the MSX 140. Even on the 110/150, there is an indent in the fuel tank to make room for the reverse cable. It lays directly across where the oil tank sits on the 140.

Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    The 110/150 reverse mechanism is much simpler and smoother in operation. However, the angle of where the reverse cable attaches prevents it from being used in the MSX 140. Even on the 110/150, there is an indent in the fuel tank to make room for the reverse cable. It lays directly across where the oil tank sits on the 140.

Cheers!
    Is there an adjustment for reverse cable length at the front end of the MSX 110/150 reverse cable?

hey just a quick shout out to my friend Ripcuda, he has helped me with my Polaris MSX 150 and even took it on as a project to figure out an issue, which took him many hours to diagnose, and did this for free!, not many people like that anymore, if in doubt ask Ripcuda, someday Id like like to ride with him on Lake Newman, peace

+1

Thanks MSX150lover! I'm sorry that your ski's troubles (seized turbo) weren't an easy fix but instead the big dollar kind. And 'Thank You!' for making me an offer on your ski that I couldn't refuse. It will one day live again.

Back on topic... regarding the 110/150 reverse lever. I see no adjustability for the front of the cable at the reverse mechanism. The cable holder secures around the drum on the cable and the inner cable attaches to the mechanism in only a single place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4177.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	367325

Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    ... regarding the 110/150 reverse lever. I see no adjustability for the front of the cable at the reverse mechanism. The cable holder secures around the drum on the cable and the inner cable attaches to the mechanism in only a single place.

Name:	IMG_4177.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	367325
    That is what I thought, the only reverse cable length adjustment is at the rear end of the cable.

Part 7061062, the threaded rod end.

Name:	9057a13.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	367326

Thread Information