Thread: Water leak

+1

Water leak

It's a speedster 200 boat. 2005 twin 185hp.

Nothing obvious but it doesn't seem to be leaking anytime other than when running. I automatically think carbon seal. I had the boat running in water over idle and nothing obvious squirting around down there. Much less narrow it down to which engine.

I've never done a carbon seal and sorta understand without having done this but should they really be obvious when leaking?

It's not filling the bilge but I'm getting a steady heavy flow for about 30seconds out of the drain plug after using the boat for awhile.

I also have some fairly good cavitation on take off with supposed "new wear rings". That leads me towards the carbon seal also. Not sure on that, just what I've read.

Water coming out of bilge is air temp.

I've put enough water in the bilge to test the bilge pump and drain plug but not much more. I did not see any obvious leaks nor do I see any damage of any type on the hull. Side discharge for bilge is above waterline. Scupper could be under but that wouldn't explain picking up water at speed.

Having never done a carbon seal, I'm not to keen on doing two just for shits and giggles.

any help or suggestions on narrowing this leak down or the big sign that says carbon seal water leak?

Thx guys.

Yes, just got the boat.

+1
    no opinions on a carbon seal leaking?

+1
    Being your boat is a 2005 it's well overdue for carbon seal and bellow change. That bellow loses tension over time and will cause a small water leak such as you are seeing now.

The items you will want to replace are on this page of the forums store. Items 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 and 25
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TEM---INTERNAL

Hope that helps!

Jerry

+1
    any idea on how to test this to find which side to dig into? I was thinking about backing it into the water and leaving it hooked up. Have someone man the throttles and see what's going on in the engine bay.

+1
    thank you btw

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shore View Post
    any idea on how to test this to find which side to dig into? I was thinking about backing it into the water and leaving it hooked up. Have someone man the throttles and see what's going on in the engine bay.
    You need to replace both sides as the carbon seals are wear items and need to be replaced over time. Yours are 10 years old and waaaay overdue.

You can run the boat and have someone look down at the carbon seals and I think you will be surprised by the amount of water coming in

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    You need to replace both sides as the carbon seals are wear items and need to be replaced over time. Yours are 10 years old and waaaay overdue.

You can run the boat and have someone look down at the carbon seals and I think you will be surprised by the amount of water coming in
    can this be accomplished powerloading on the trailer and watching? I'm a bit concerned with running the boat at speed with the engine/swimdeck up. That thing is a huge sail with two little gas struts holding it from blowing back over.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post

can this be accomplished powerloading on the trailer and watching? I'm a bit concerned with running the boat at speed with the engine/swimdeck up. That thing is a huge sail with two little gas struts holding it from blowing back over.
    Possibly! your carbon seals need to be replaced regardless though. When one of them goes, and they eventually will, your boat will sink with the quickness

+1
    I understand and agree on the carbon seals. I'd still like to find the water leak.

In the driveway, I filled the bilge with water. Right up to about the engine mounts. Not quite to the driveshaft. Water is dripping from the port tunnel area. Steady stream/drip that rides down the inner joint of ride plate and hull. I also see water formingthat sameI can't quite see where it's from. Nothing leaking at the driveshaft exit in the tunnel. Nothing visible from pump shoe to pump joint on the outside. This leak is hidden to me at this point.

Naturally, the trailer bunk is covering the outer bolts of the ride plate so removing it quickly is not going to happen. Boat will have to be shifted over.

Here are two pics. You can see the water droplet at the inner plate/hull joint. The next pic you can see the spot where bottom of the pump and the top of the ride plate meet. Water was pooling there also. The bilge is empty now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leak2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	367319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leak1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	367318  

+1
    You are not going to find a carbon seal leak by filling your hull with water. The carbon seal will leak while the boat is running on the water and pump tunnel pressure builds.

Thread Information