Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2001 virage tx 1200 suddenly died on water and wont restart ran awesome otherwise.

Hi everybody, I'm a new owner of a 2001 tx 1200 virage (white and black with red fuel injected motor). Had it out today and it was running awesome, lots of power, smooth power-band started right up cold. But all the sudden it died, and now I cant re start it . Had it out for 2 hours yesterday and it did die on me once then too but it started right back up after so I didn't think much of it.

I have a few items that I know I'm going to do regardless after some searching. The TPS being a big one by the looks of it, I also have the black solenoid with metal back plate, so I should get the updated version of that, and a big ones that it still has the grey tempo fuel lines so that's a must.

It cranks over just fine, I have spark and compression read within 7% difference across all cylinders (130 psi) on a cheap compression tester. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge that I can hook up right now to check that at this time tho. It is my next step, but I want to do the fuel lines tomorrow if I can find something locally (it is a holiday so a lot of places might be closed), I'm assuming that I can just use small worm style hose clamps where the factory ones are now. It does have new ngk spark plugs and a new battery.

sounds like this could be a pressure regulator issue from what I've found searching but all input is appreciated.

Also, awesome forum tons of great info here. Glad to join up and I was really having a blast on my virage!

I'm also wondering what good sites there are for ordering parts (for a Canadian), There seem to be a few different versions of the tps (non pigtail) whats the best?
    Last edited by iceberg65; 08-02-2015 at 07:30 PM.

update, It did start now that its been sitting a while with a battery charger at 2amps. Voltage while I was running was always over 12 and would ramp up to 14v at higher rpm. But I did a lot of cranking at the lake to try and start it.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Where in Canada are you?

This is a fuel injected engine?

If fuel injected, the gray Tempo fuel hoses are less of a concern on the Ficht engines. At some point they should be replaced with new, just due to age. But not an issue you need to worry about right now.

A fallen pressure regulator (and correspondingly reduced fuel pressure) typically does not prevent the engine from starting. It won't run right and risks engine damage if run hard, but there is generally enough fuel for it to start, or at least cough and try to start.

The things that come to mind include;

TPS. Unplug the three pin connector at the TPS. Does it now start?

Injector voltage. Check the voltage between white/red wire and engine ground, with all injectors plugged in. Crank engine, the voltage should jump up to just over 20 volts.

LR-503 Start/Stop module. Located inside the electrical box. Unplug all the wires going to the module and tape them aside, then temporarily relocate the remaining white/black wire to a black terminal. If engine now starts, the LR module has failed.

4. +1 by:

I am in Medicine Hat Alberta, not a whole lot of lake options but still love it here!

I did get it to start after sitting on the charger for a while but it took more cranking then before.

It is a fuel injected motor. Good to know that the fuel lines are of a lesser concern, I do still want to get on them, I can see a bit of green stuff around one of the connections, but gotta figure this out first. Is it ok to run an automotive fuel injector cleaner with these motors? or should I not worry about that.

Thanks so muck for the prompt advice K447, I will test the injector voltage tomorrow and look into the start/stop module.

I tried to start it with the tps unplugged while it was still on the lake and it didn't help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg65 View Post
    I am in Medicine Hat Alberta...

It is a fuel injected motor... Is it ok to run an automotive fuel injector cleaner with these motors? or should I not worry about that.

... I will test the injector voltage tomorrow and look into the start/stop module.

I tried to start it with the tps unplugged while it was still on the lake and it didn't help.
    Put it on the trailer and bring it over to my house

Fuel injector cleaner almost never makes any useful difference on these Ficht engines. If something in the fuel system actually needs cleaning, it needs to be removed and cleaned properly. As long as the actual gasoline in the tank is not contaminated or excessively old, the fuel system probably does not need cleaning.

Fuel injector voltage testing notes.

If only Toronto wasn't a 30 hour drive haha. I do have a coworker that makes the drive pretty regularly though. (my company has corporate offices there, but I never get to go)

The fuel that's in it is from last Aug, but it was a full tank with stabilizer added. But it did sit for a couple months before the stabilizer was added To me this should be fine. I'll get my voltages all tested out and report back

OK, so I didn't even get to voltage testing my injectors. I opened up the electrical box and found some significant corrosion at a lot of the junctions.

I can see this easily causing issues. Looks like this board is mostly just terminal junctions, and there are quite a few that are still open without corrosion, so I could probably get it cleaned up and be ok. Might see if I can find a new one and what kinda price they go for. It looks like a pretty simple board.

And I'm gonna get new reset switches regardless. Cheap piece of mind.

+1
    The electrical box is supposed to have a watertight seal with a large o-ring around the rim.

There is aseal around the edge of the box, but it defiantly looks like there was water in there at some point. Guessing one of the previous owners didn't have all the clips closed all the way at some point. I've ordered a new board but for the time being I am cleaning up what I have now. I will be replacing several of the female blade connectors as well.

I will be double checking the seal upon reassembly. I can see this easily causing intermittent problems. There was a hole in the fuse with the red/purple wires attached. Is that supposed to be the 1/4a fuse? cause what was in there is definitely bigger then that.
    Last edited by iceberg65; 08-03-2015 at 09:52 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg65 View Post
    There is aseal around the edge of the box, but it defiantly looks like there was water in there at some point. Guessing one of the previous owners didn't have all the clips closed all the way at some point. I've ordered a new board but for the time being I am cleaning up what I have now. I will be replacing several of the female blade connectors as well.

I will be double checking the seal upon reassembly. I can see this easily causing intermittent problems. There was a hole in the fuse with the red/purple wires attached. Is that supposed to be the 1/4a fuse? cause what was in there is definitely bigger then that.
    There may be two fuses.

A long(er) fuse rated 1/4 Amp is for the display. The Red/Purple wire that goes to the actual display has a smaller tab connector (0.167" ?) than all the other Red/Purple wires (0.250")

If you also have a fuse for the bilge pump it will be a stubby fuse of 3 Amp rating. Connected to the Orange terminal group.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information