Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some help please. Can I replace a 2005 4tec 215 with a 2007 4tec 215?

Hello everyone!

I just recently purchased a 2005 RXP with a bad motor. Looks like it threw a rod out #1 on the exhaust side of the motor.

Anyways,

I have a 43hr 2007 4tec 215 from a RXT. It is a good runner and I would like to put it into the 2005 RXP that I just purchased.

Anyone know what problems I am going to run into doing the swap?

I know the tops systems is different, as well as some of the sensors are in different places? Anything else major?

Thanks in advance.

+1
    Nothing major that I can think of, you'll have to change the pto cover to keep the timing right

Is it as simple as swapping the 2005 215 pto cover onto the 2007 215?

Thanks

+1
    you'll need to swap:
    valve cover
    tops system
    front oil pump/pto (make sure it is still good, probably not)
    rear oil pump
    you'll need to clock the encoder wheel two positions over.
    remove the plastic piece on the end of the camshaft

The 2007 crank has a different timing locator position hence the timing being in a different position.
    I had the same problem when my crank in my 2005 was swapped out with a newer one. Moving the timing cup 2 flywheel bolt holes just isnt enough. ( still half a tooth out)

Steps I took
    1. Drill a hole in the perspex the perfect size of diameter of the inner flywheel hole. Needs to be tight fit. I used a hole saw bit then dremel to get perfect.
    2. Clamp a clear perspex sheet to the base of the flywheel. Align the center hole I found something that fit in to ensure nothing moved.
    3. Drill the 6 holes through the flywheel to make the six holes in the perspex.
    4. Overlay the template onto the 05 crank line up the 6 holes and drill the timing hole. Also mark the CB shaft line for reference.
    5. Overlay the template onto the 07 crank to mark the new position on the crank of the timing hole. ( Only for reference)
    6. Remove the template and clamp between the flywheel (Line up the 6 holes) then the Encoder cup with the new 05 timing pin position then the Rotor cup on top with the six holes aligned to the flywheel.
    7. You will now notice the holes of the Encoder wheel only are all moved around half a hole position.
    8. Drill through all the the flywheel holes to create the new slots in the timing cup. Make sure you align the rotor cup and the flywheel holes you should only be drilling the encoder cup.
    9. Put your flywheel back on then the encoder cup in the new holes and the rotor wheel. You will need to remove the pin from the 07 crank and not use it again.
    10. I didnt drill the new pin locator in the rotor cup or crank as it was all in the correct position with the new 6 holes drilled.
    11. Tighten up use 05 PTO and the front oil pump assembly from the 05 and your good to go.

Its been awhile since I did mine i will try dig up the step by step photos I took.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0852.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	367207  

Thanks everyone for the info.

silverback2002 Those pics would be great if you have them still.

I just had a thought. Would it be easier if I used the complete harness and electronics and swap them all over from the 07 RXT to the 05 RXP? Or would that in the end be even more complicated?

More complicated. Just make the changes to the Encoder wheel. If you just decide to move the flywheel bolt holes around two spots it works fine but feels like you back on a NA model with no punch. I have a feeling the pictures I had were on my old phone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by silverback2002 View Post
    More complicated. Just make the changes to the Encoder wheel. If you just decide to move the flywheel bolt holes around two spots it works fine but feels like you back on a NA model with no punch. I have a feeling the pictures I had were on my old phone.
    Maybe you did something wrong but the last one I did ran like a champ. I actually drilled a new hole in the encoder and left the pin in.

Just to double check.

I know I need to swap the PTO cover from the 05 to the 07 motor and the encoder wheel but do I really need to change the items below as well?

valve cover
    tops system
    rear oil pump
    remove the plastic piece on the end of the camshaft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information