SLT 750 fuel tank pickup

Please see the attached picture for the gas tank fuel pickup. I got this one from a "parts ski" I recently purchased (I needed some other parts). Anyhow, in this current project, I replaced the old main and reserve fuel lines that dip into the tank on my existing ski. However, my dip lines didn't have the filters so I'm thinking about removing the tank (again) and adding these filters (after I clean them up a bit). Unless, these filters are really not needed as I also plan to get new in-line filters installed near my selector switch (on/off/res). I purchased regular filters (e.g. for mowers), but i understand that I need hi-flow filters. Of course I don't want to starve my engine for fuel in any way, but are "hi-flows" really that much different?

Also, I noted that the pictured pickup has some kind of check valve (?) on the vent port. My existing ski doesn't have this check valve. Should i get one or use this one.

All of these differences could be bcause I have a 95 SLT 750 and these salvaged parts are coming off a 94....

note to moderators: I am posting different questions in different threads. Please let me know if I should take another approach and keep posting on the same thread (even thought the subjects are a bit different). Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0039.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	367145  

Update on the check valve attached to the tank cap... It's on the return side (not the vent...).

This check valve has what appears to be a float (?) in it. But it's always going to be way high in the tank. So, I suspect this is not a "fuel float". Rather, I'm guessing it's some kind of pressure float. So that, when it's hot and the fuel/gases expand, I don't get back-pressure forcing fuel in the wrong direction. Or, otherwise restricting fuel from freely returning from the carbs (even though the return-line has a "restriction" in it to preclude too much fuel return and not enough staying at the carbs).
    From somewhere else here on GH, I just learned the abbreviations on these:

O = main Output
    R = Reserve
    V = Vent
    T = reTurn
    Last edited by dbrink; 08-02-2015 at 11:55 PM.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    You could use a water separator from a 96 and up Polaris ski. That has a fuel filter built in internally and skip the inline filters. That is how I would do it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0980.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	367152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0974.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	367153I have a thread on the same thing I found mine in the bottom of my tank on a 94 SL attached to the return line but not sure if it's right Mine is white

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    That should be part number 7 in the drawing.

SLT 750 fuel tank pickup (& water separator with mesh filter...)

OK.
    It sounds like I can eliminate all the other filters (in-tank & in-line) as I do have a water separator with a fine mesh filter. Sometimes, I like the "belt and suspenders" approach. That is, go with the filter in the water separator and in-line filters. But, I don't want to restrict fuel flow (I also don't want garbage going to the carbs...).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	367160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0040.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	367161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0041.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	367162

and as for part #7 (check valve?), I'll look to get one purchased/installed if I gotta have it (?).

Also, since the old fuel tank dip lines were toast. Do you know how long these should be?

Thanks!
    Last edited by dbrink; 08-02-2015 at 11:59 PM.

+1
    I don't have part #7 on either of my SLTs. Not sure it is necessary.

You need to make the lines long enough so the Main is about an inch or two off the bottom of the tank, and the reserve is an inch or two longer than the bottom of the tank. Use a very flexible line without memory like Tygon so it will move as the ski does.

Thread Information