Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

New vs. Old skis

Hey out of curiosity, I've been toying with these STXR's and find them to be fantastic skis.....3 seaters, plenty fast to satisfy, handle pretty darn good. ....good enough the throw you off......anyway I see the newer Kawis have the same hull..even the same pump....but different powerplant. How do the newer skis compare performance-wise? Are they as quick and fast?

They weigh a lot more and would seem that handling at that higher weight would suffer? An old two stroke can weigh less with 2 passengers! The new skis all seem like a good 1000lbs......and that's claimed.

How does the older 2 stoke hold up?

Say STXR vs the 15f or even the new Ultra 310?

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    The STXR is a great ski. Better yet is an Ultra 150. The 15F is a reliable workhorse of a ski. Cheap to maintain, decent fuel economy, handles rough water much better than the 2 strokes, partially due to weight. They are inexpensive to repair compared to 4 strokes but 4 strokes much more reliable per the amount of care and time, tuning, cleaning carbs, etc. New fuel in Ca. seems to eat the diaphram's on carbs up, primer bulbs go bad, etc. This is something to definitely beware of as older K carbs leak right out the side cover when a diaphragm is perforated.
    I believe the Ultra LX and the 15F are the best, most reliable N/A ski's there are.
    The 310 is a whole nuther animal. Arm ripping acceleration, incredible hook-up, amazing thirst for fuel, and the best muscle-craft out there.

If you are thinking of a 4 stroke I would go for the LX or the 15F to begin with. Unless you ride a big rough lake and have the need for speed. 310 all the way then.
    Or get the ol' suicide model SS750 94 or earlier with no sponson's lol.
    By the way: unlike other manufacturers Kawi weight on spec sheets is full fluids/fuel. Others are not. (That's 175 lbs in fuel alone on 310 or LX)
    I love the fun of the old 2 strokes on river/lakes but I do enjoy riding the ocean, all year around out here, even more.
    This is my opinion and I am sure many have other observations to add.

3. +1 by:

+1

Hey thanks for the input. Yeah I love 2 strokes......great power to weight ratio and simple to repair.....but eventually we all have to move on and it seems the 2 stroke is not coming back any time soon. I like the idea of the closed cooling on the rotax......but over all the new skis just seem too heavy!

I mean overall can the same hull perform as well as a heavy 4 stk as when the same hull was a 2stk?

This stxr is my first ski so I'm still learning. .....to ride it well and about the industry and models.

No doubt the 4stk sips gas.....with the amout of 2stk oil and gas I use a month I could make a monthly on a brand new ski!!!!

I've had so much fun I'm afraid to get a newer ski and be disappointed.

Here's a video i made ripping through the narrow creeks by my house.....I'm afraid if I miss a turn I'd never get a 1000lb machine back in the water.

+1
    You're lady looks to enjoy it as much as you do and is an excellent passenger!

6. +1 by:

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Closed loop seems to have more intercooler issues for some reason. I don't like it as there is no benefit particularly in the Pacific. One of the many mods the guys that crank up the HP on Sea Doo's do is change to open loop. Better capacity at cooling I'm sure as many are turbo and are trying to avoid heat-soak issues. That tells me all I need to know.
    The 15F would stay planted a bit better than the STXR and wont spin out much.
    The 4 strokes will chug fuel, copiously, if held WOT just like a 2 smoke. And at idle, no 2 smoke. Although Klotz in the morning is kinda like coffee.
    I cannot see the vid yet as I am at work but I will view it later.

8. +1 by:

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The fuel savings between 2 and 4 stroke isn't a huge as you might think. Buy a newer ski because you want a newer ski, and what it offers over your current ride, not because you think you may save a little fuel. I have Polaris 1200cc 2 strokes and ride with guys on 4 strokes. I don't use any more fuel than they do, and in some cases I use less fuel.

A SC 4 stroke can and probably will use more fuel than a 2 stroke.

You have a very good first ski "stxr" my first ski was a seadoo sp with a 500cc. I rode my bros ultra150 and sold that ski the following days. You are at the top of the 2stroke with the stxr very capable ski, keep her running and enjoy! Forget the 4 strokes unless you have some serious money to put down. Honestly stxr to a new 15f would be kinda silly...

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I am biased but i love 2 stroke motors. No cam spinners are in my future for a long long time.

+1
    Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not dissatisfied with the stx-r whatsoever. I rebuilt it top to bottom new prop to crank to steering cable......just about everything! Probably in it close to 5k but it's a 99.9% OEM part overhaul....I say 99.9 because I just put in the WSM drive bearing holder. So everything is spotless and no corrosion to be found....definitely a keeper. If I could do anything over I'd install the Group K stage 2 over the stage 1 kit but oh well.

The thing is I purchased another stxr for 2400 bucks.....for the loner or the girlfriend to beat up.....now since I have a personality disorder where I have to rebuild everything I own I'm starting to think I just get out of the second STXR and get something much newer (and leave it alone) for the gf that I can trust as more reliable to get her home when out in the bay.

...if not I'll probably group k 2 stage it and paint the green trim pink and let her beat up the boys on their new 15f's. But if I were smart I'd just leave it alone and drive it till it breaks.

so looking at pwc's like the 15f really make me wonder if it can handle the same being the same hull and 1000lbs.....I don't think so as far as handling......acceleration can be made up with power and chop can be overcome by weight but I seem to thing it would handle like a stxr with 2 passengers! I can definitely feel the stxr ski push with 2-3 passengers as it lets loose and slides in a hard corner....alone with no passengers I can corner much harder.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Your lady looks to enjoy it as much as you do and is an excellent passenger!
    Well done riding, in several ways. What area are you riding?

Cautionary note - Wear eye protection. For both people. A bug in the eye at speed is a bug in the eye. Lots of good choices in watercraft appropriate eye wear. We use Seaspecs and Jet Tribe.
    Last edited by K447; 08-02-2015 at 09:02 PM.

14. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information