Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 Polaris Genesis

Hello everybody I have a 2001 Polaris genesis, I can not get this thing to start without putting fuel to the intake. Has 3 brand new injectors, brand new pump, and regulator. Fuel pressure is good, I have spark, good compression in all 3 cylinders. I'm starting to think the EMM is bad because everything in the fuel
    system is brand new. Was just looking for some help here on what to test next? Thanks in advanced

Ryan

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow How to check Ficht fuel injector voltage on White/Red wires

This is a fuel injected engine, correct?

If yes, put a DC voltmeter on one of the white/red wires that feed the injectors. Red meter probe to any of the white/red wires, black meter probe to engine ground.

Do not unplug any fuel injectors
    , find another place to access a white/red wire. All white/red wires should have the same voltage and are connected together.

Some Ficht wire harnesses have a splice connector for white/red wires, remove the connector cover to connect the red meter probe to the common bus bar inside the connector shell. Or use a thin sewing pin to slide alongside the white/red wire and touch the internal pin inside the connector.

Crank the engine and watch the voltmeter.

On a good working engine the DC voltage on white/red wires should rise quickly to just over 20 volts with the engine cranking. If the Ficht engine starts the injector voltage should rise to over 40 volts.

Battery voltage during cranking should stay well above 10.6 volts. If the battery voltage sags too much during cranking the battery is weak. If recently charged and the voltage still sags then the battery should be replaced. I recommend the Deka manufactured ETX16 AGM battery.

Where did you get three new fuel injectors? Why?
    Last edited by K447; 08-03-2015 at 08:07 AM.

+1
    Were the new injectors married to the EMM?

The guy who had it before me put the three injectors in and I believe they were purchased from eBay and I believe they were used. And no I do not believe the injectors are married to that EMM. What's the process of programming the injectors to the EMM. I have old injectors and are not completely sure if they are bad.

If I don't have the correct voltage at injectors does that mean the EMM is bad?

Just test the voltage at the injectors the most volts I'm getting is like .20 volts

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinger55 View Post
    The guy who had it before me put the three injectors in and I believe they were purchased from eBay and I believe they were used. And no I do not believe the injectors are married to that EMM. What's the process of programming the injectors to the EMM. I have old injectors and are not completely sure if they are bad.
    Ficht fuel injectors rarely go bad. It can happen, but it is not a common issue.

Ficht fuel injectors are completely different from automotive fuel injectors. Different internally, different diagnostics, different method of operation. It is good that you still have the original fuel injectors. Inside the EMM it is programmed (married) to use a specific serial number fuel injector on each cylinder. This is known as the compensation mapping for each fuel injector. When you get the actual problem cause repaired you can reinstall the original injectors on the correct cylinders and my expectation is that the original injectors will work just fine.

+1
    Just test the voltage at the injectors the most volts I'm getting is like .20 volts
    There are a few components involved in creating the voltage that drives the fuel injectors. The same voltage feed is also used to power the EMM itself and the ignition coils.

How did you measure the .20 volts? Did you unplug something?

Okay I did some further testing at the 12 and 8 pin connection going to the EMM I do not have 20 volts and when cranking the voltage drops.

+1
    Okay I did some further testing at the 12 and 8 pin connection going to the EMM I do not have 20 volts and when cranking the voltage drops.
    This is the voltage on white/red, with all connectors plugged in?

If yes, then test the five Ficht stator coils. They are connected to the 12-pin wire harness connector. Ohm tests first, then AC voltage cranking test in each coil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information