+1

Polaris Genesis or Yamaha SUV?

Looking to add to the fleet. Tube towing (2 riders on tube) is the primary game, but may do some skiing too. Not really a fan of carbs, so that's a negative for the SUV. But boy the SUV seems extremely stable (and huge). Discuss

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The SUV is huge, considerably bigger than the Genesis. It requires a special trailer its so big. They are also still commanding a premium price for one in running condition. The Genesis should do what you want it to do. The Genesis is definitely faster if that matters.

I doubt you would go wrong with either one.

Why not a fan of carbs? The Keihin carbs used on the Genesis and all the Polaris domestic motors are really very easy to deal with.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Looking to add to the fleet. Tube towing (2 riders on tube) is the primary game, but may do some skiing too. Not really a fan of carbs, so that's a negative for the SUV. But boy the SUV seems extremely stable (and huge). Discuss
    I just finished repairing a Genesis i (Ficht fuel injected) and have done a couple of test rides.

Overall it feels like a bigger Virage. Slightly wider and longer, somewhat heavier, built like a tank. Very tough hull with double layers through the bottom area. It fits on my double Triton trailer with room for the other ski (MSX 140) but I had to move the winch tower forward to accommodate the Genesis hull length.

The Genesis has sufficient power but could use more, in my opinion. It could also use trim (could be adapted from other models) to get the nose up when riding solo as it tends to dig in when playing around and tight turns. Sometimes there is spray of the bow when moving at modest speeds in roughish water.

The Genesis handles similar to the Virage, just feels 'bigger'.

There is storage under the ear seat section but it is not hinged, so you have to be careful not to loose the rear seat section while rummaging around in the storage bucket below.

The Genesis is certainly the smallest of the three watercraft brands that is rated for four passengers. The Yamaha SUV is much larger, as is the Seadoo LRV. My understanding is that both only came from the factory with 2-stroke carburetor engines. A number of SUV have been repowered with 4 stroke engines, some of those projects have been posted on GH.

The Genesis was sold with both carburetor and Ficht engines, rated for the same power.

Thread Information