New ski, previous owner over-filled oil

Iím new to owning Waverunners and managed to pick up a pair of used 2006 FXs with low hours (80s) the other day for a good price. Before buying I didnít have the ability to test either one in the water. I noticed that one of them had some oily residue on and around the port side drain plug, but since the oil filter is on that side I chalked it up to be a messy filter change by either the owner or his mechanic. Both skis started right up and seemed to run well for the few seconds that I tested them out of the water. I was also assured that they were fully summer and winterized by a mechanic every year, so despite what I thought might be some questionable maintenance practices, I ended up buying.

Now that theyíre home and after I took a closer look, itís obvious that the one ski was overfilled with oil at some point and ended up blowing it out all around the air filter. On this ski it appears that both the filter and the spark plugs have been replaced since this happened. I spent all day yesterday cleaning oil from spots under the engine cover and other hoses nearby.

Today Iím taking another look at the problematic engine. Iím stuck because it seems that measuring and maintaining the correct oil level on these skis can be tricky. When I checked it yesterday, there was not enough oil in the reservoir to even register on the dipstick, but there was some that I could see at the bottom with a flashlight. Not super alarming because I know the skis have been sitting without use for a few months this year. Today I started it for 10-15 seconds and when I checked again, the reservoir was bone dry.

Iím looking to get them out for the first time next weekend and am just wondering what should be done on the ski beforehand. I plan to change the oil and filter afterwards when theyíre HOT. Iím just worried that even though there are no warnings on the dash, there isnít enough oil and that I should add some before taking it out. What would you do in this situation? Add some oil beforehand or leave it be? Also, is there anything else I should be double checking?

+1
    With my 06 FX HO I used to add oil until it was about 1/8 of an inch up the dipstick then I run the ski on the hose for 5 minutes or so and check the oil level. 99% of the time that would place the oil level, when hot, right in the middle of the minimum and maximum oil levels. All oil changes there after, I would measure the amount of oil I removed during an oil change in a clear plastic container and replace the same exact amount using a clean new identical container. Hope this helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    With my 06 FX HO I used to add oil until it was about 1/8 of an inch up the dipstick then I run the ski on the hose for 5 minutes or so and check the oil level. 99% of the time that would place the oil level, when hot, right in the middle of the minimum and maximum oil levels. All oil changes there after, I would measure the amount of oil I removed during an oil change in a clear plastic container and replace the same exact amount using a clean new identical container. Hope this helps.

This is good advice. You need to check the oil on the '06 FX HO after the engine is warmed up for a couple minutes on the hose (or in the water). Regarding the overfill, replace the plugs and air filter. Also, pull the engine cover and give a good look around, it should be obvious if anything else need more attention. You can always post a picture on here too.

Thread Information