Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultra 150 woes continue - rev to 4k and then cuts out won't re-start :(

Hi guys

Went out on the ski's today and my friends ultra has given another problem - i feel so sorry for him!

New problem - ski had a brand new, OEM spec battery in which was fully charged, brand new spark plugs - ski started, idled fine. Pull the throttle, accelerates to 4000k rpm and then just dies - won't restart, just get a click from the starter.

Tried with two different fully charged batteries - any guesses what's up?

He's almost to the point where he just wants rid of it - he's sunk over $1500 on fixing it up

Thanks all

Wont start at all and all you hear is a click? Have you checked for voltage at the starter solenoid? Theres a box on the cross member under the steering that could cause this, normally causes just a click when you got to start. Check all your battery cables also

+1
    Jump from the battery (or battery pack) directly to the + terminal on the starter to see if it's good.

It starts absolutely fine and you can idle around in the water as long as you please... it's just when you open up the throttle - gets to 4k revs and dies! When you try to re-start it just seems like the battery is dead..

Turboman i'll take a look at the voltages and report back, thank you.

Steve - do you mean run a lead directly from the battery to the + on the starter? Is it easy to tell where this is? (novice here).

Thanks guys

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoyMinster View Post
    It starts absolutely fine and you can idle around in the water as long as you please... it's just when you open up the throttle - gets to 4k revs and dies! When you try to re-start it just seems like the battery is dead..

Turboman i'll take a look at the voltages and report back, thank you.

Steve - do you mean run a lead directly from the battery to the + on the starter? Is it easy to tell where this is? (novice here).

Thanks guys

Look for the red cable that runs under the right side of the motor, it goes directly to the starter, the other end is switched at the solenoid. Follow it under the motor and check to make sure tis not loose on the starter. If you apply 12v to the red wire it should turn the starter assuming the ground and starter are good. Maybe you could add a cable to the solenoid (the switched side) so when the ski acts up you could jump it right away. Its either that or try to add a cable at the starter. ( if you add a cable to the solenoid make sure you safe off the loose end because it will be hot when you hit the start button.

You say it hits 4k shuts off and wont start. How long does it take before it will fire up again?

[QUOTE=TMiller;2605395]
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoyMinster View Post
    How long does it take before it will fire up again?
    That's a very good question - it was out of the water for an hour today and we tried and it just wasn't doing anything, LCD comes on fine, press start and just nothing - sounds / seems like there is little to no power from the battery but i'm sure thats not the case as it went in brand new and fully charged!

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61564

This sounds similar.. but if it is the starter - why would it start OK in the first place?

Guys is the the starter holder?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	367118  

For the wire yes

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    For the wire yes
    Excellent, and for changing the motor itself, is this where it is?

i'm going to test all the wiring next week, from other threads I've read and answers here, I'm almost sure if the wiring is ok, it's the starter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information