Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX 110 Excessive smoke

Some of you have followed my rebuild progress and I sincerely appreciate the input over the last month. I thought it was over but after this 110 runs for a bit and comes up to temp, excessive white smoke bellows from the exhaust. Oil is not mixing with water from the hose and is fine in the tank to my observations. Coolant looks a little dirty but that could be from filth left behind since the issue that cause the rebuild. It could also be picking up filth from the turbo tract. Coolant levels are holding though. So I think I am narrowed down to the turbo/exhaust. The turbo spun tightly and had almost no lateral play on the air intake side. I thought it was good to go?

Any ideas on what could be causing the excessive smoke generation after warm up? Could it be sludge contamination left behind in the exhaust from the previous oil cooler failure? Would a bad wastegate stuck closed cause this? The wastegate moves freely but I have yet to see the actuator extend... Just looking for ideas.

+1
    Residual oil, assembly lube, etc.... this should all burn off after a thorough, extended run.

Have you run the ski in the water for 30 mins yet? Or still "on the hose"? If you haven't broken it in yet on the water and had good run sessions with it, it could still be residual stuff like you mention.

If you have run it well for length... and you still get smoke. I would be most suspicious of the turbo. Even though your turbo shaft spins, it's possible to have blown a seal and be leaking oil into the exhaust. This would seem the most likely if all other fluid levels were constant.

A stuck wastegate wouldn't cause any smoking. Just cause overboost or "underboost".

Cheers!

+1
    No offense, but why start another thread?

+1
    The white smoke is oil burning and this won't happen past the turbo as its water injected. Let's start off with the usual test since its a new thread and we want to start off fresh. Compression test, inspect the turbo play again and see if it is hitting the housing and that there is not fresh wet oil in that tail piece. I forget its name. Insure all iol lines are run correctly, reference the manual(not likely but). Make sure the oil is not to full.

Oil burning, white smoke, is either comming through the intake, from the valve guides/seals, or around the rings. The oil in the exhaust could be old oil that was there from the old engine, or the turbo bearing/seal is blown. It could also be Unburnt oil from the cumbustion area due to bad ring seal but I would think this would stop it running.

Please tell us the setup again. Upgraded oil tank? FST pump gear or replacement plastic one? How did the rebuild go? Did you reuse anything? What was the condition of this engine prior to tear down? Why did it fail need rebuilt?

How round were the cylinders? +-.003 is starting to get bad, any worse........Any taper? Was there any warping of the head or block deck?

Sorry Hiperco, the other post was just general on the whole rebuild. Now that it is at this stage I'm stuck on this one issue. Might help others who are searching posts as well.

Compression is fine. Oil level is fine but possibly getting a little lower, I will keep checking. The rebuild or tear down was due to the coolant/oil mix and the PO saying it was a head gasket. After tear down, it did not appear to be a head gasket and we found a breached oil cooler allowing oil/coolant mix. Unit reassembled with new oil pump, water pump seal kit (gears looked great), t-stat, head gasket, yada. It runs and idles perfect. Water pump cycles but coolant is a little dirty...thinking it picked up residual filth in the cooler, heat exchanger, or turbo (I could confirm by flushing with clean for awhile). Oil still looks clean in the oil tank.

Turbo bearing seal is sounding likely at the moment....

+1
    To check for a blown turbo seal pull the back off the turbo housing, the piece the exhaust clamps onto, I can't remember it's oficial name. They are large Allen bolts. Look for fresh wet oil residue inside.

if you have not already I would pull the intake track and inspect it for oil. Any contamination and it all needs cleaned. Also clean the map sensors if there is any oil residue on them. Wipe them on a paper towel to check for oil contamination. This is important.

Take a pic of your spark plugs and post them please.

+1
    Pull turbo to intercooler hose off, start engine an hold a peice of paper in front of the outlet, If its a failing front seal ring on the turbo you wil see oil spotting. I had one that was not leaking enough to oil everything up but enough to smoke.

Great ideas guys. I am in fact losing oil so I'm sure its injecting into the exhaust from the turbo. However, I will try your methods and see where it takes me.

Tips were great ideas. Pretty sure this water cooled turbo is not sealing properly. I have a watery-coolant/oily residue spewing from the turbo output to IC. Probably why the coolant is picking up a little oil slick too. Anyone have luck replacing the turbocharger cartridge in the turbine housing? If so, any particular part#? I've been reading posts about KKK K03 cartidge but I'm open to suggestions.

+1
    I've replaced the center turbo cartridge before. Randy at WeberPower sells a few different versions.

Got to have the whole exhaust turbo manifold out and on the bench to do it. Not too hard... unless your turbo housing bolts are rusted. Be sure to mark the clocking of the compressor housing so you get it pointed the right way upon reassembly.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information