Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to me xlt1200 problems

A little background on the ski, I bought it a few days ago from some guy who had no idea how to even operate the ski. The ski has 89 hours on it, I got it for only $2700 with the trailer and cover . He said he put about an hour on it in the time he owned it before buying a boat. I was told that the previous owner before him had the ski winterized, then summerized, but it sat for a year after that. The guy I bought it from said all he did was top off the gas and try to ride it. But it would bog down and not go to full speed.

Once I got the ski home I drained as much gas out as I could and then filled it up with premium. It was full when I got it and it took about 17 gallons when I filled it so I'm guessing I left about 1-3 gallons bad gas left. Put some gas treatment/system cleaner in as well.

Got it out on the lake and it starts up immediately, no hesitation. Let it idle and float around for a bit before trying anything. Gently gave it throttle and it accelerates and I actually got it up to about 45-50mph. Then it dies. the ski doesn't shut off but its almost like the impeller stops spinning and it has no power. After that it wont rev about 3000 and it doesn't move anywhere. Let it sit at idle for 10-15 seconds then try again gently giving throttle, same thing.

Ordered wave eater clips for the power valves, looks like someone put some clamps on the oil hoses. When I looked at the power valves there was a lot of black gunk in there. Guessing bad gas and a long time sitting, could the carbs be just like this and that be the problem? Also wondering, any way to check if the cat is screwed up and causing problems?

Any ideas appreciated.

It could be the cat. I got my 00 gp1200r and it wouldnt go full throttle according to the last owners. Took it apart and the element from the cat had broken out and lodged in the stinger pipe. I also had a dry cylinder from the oil line coming off the pump but that is another issue lol.

Take the cat out then put in a d plate and chip since its not a if but when the cat fails situation.

The black gunk is probably from running the yamalube oil.

Check compression.

+1
    Need year.+1 on checking compression and cat.If they are fine ,then probably fuel problem.Carbs,filters or injectors.

Tried to include everything but forgot the year, its a 2005. Compression is about 120 on all cylinders. Going to check the cat, I can just remove that and install the dplate/chip with a piece of tube if needed? After that next up would be a carb rebuild or cleaning

Compression check is good.
    Got the cat & exhaust out today, what a job. A lot easier to just remove the head than mess with moving it all around. Cat looks good but putting a d plate in anyways.

Probably should have the carbs rebuilt while the exhaust is out and they're accessible. Have never done this myself, probably could find some info on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlt 1200 rubicon View Post
    Compression check is good.
    Got the cat & exhaust out today, what a job. A lot easier to just remove the head than mess with moving it all around. Cat looks good but putting a d plate in anyways.

Probably should have the carbs rebuilt while the exhaust is out and they're accessible. Have never done this myself, probably could find some info on it.
    Darn right.Fix them carbs while you have that PIA off.Genuine Mikuni only.Plenty of help here.

+1
    You mentioned someone put clamps on oil lines.
    Is ski still oil injection or pre-mix?

I'm guessing prob is with carbs as well, after seeing cat. Read and follow all of the late Oside Bill's carb posts in How-To section.

Let us know how it goes.

Here is where I am at now, brought the ski to a shop and the carbs were completely rebuilt. Also has the d plate installed now and wave eater clips ready to go in. Problem is, after the carbs were rebuilt the guy took it out to test and its the same way it was before. Slowly climbs to about 30 mph and won't go any faster. Full throttle it bogs quickly and still wont go above 30. He tells me its something electrical that hes going to look into. Someone else told me maybe the jet pump. Out of the water the ski gets to 8k rpm no problem. Any ideas what is happening now?

Turns out the baffles in the exhaust were not opening but sticking shut and choking out the engine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information