Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Question Dam jetski! 2003 185 gtx going to slow??

Guys first time I just took the rebuilt 185 gtx out WOT
    I only just hit WOT for 5 secs but only got about 7050 rpm and I seen 82 kph (51mph).. should there be more RPM and speed? what is factory speed?
    I have a few things that are rolling over in my head.
    If the engine is knocking and the computer is adjusting timing is there a way to find out? buds?
    See my engine is a bit of a Frankenstein engine.. in theory it should work and seams to run sweet but just not fast enough
    Its a 2006+ 215hp engine with my 2003 inlet and injectors and its running my 2003 harness and computer. has 215hp fuel reg too.
    It seams to idle high as well? about 1700 - 2000 rpm. that high? that's in the water too.
    First thing first is ill check the oil level and make sure its not over full.
    I might chase up the 215hp computer and raise the rpm limit.
    In 2004 and up they put a resister on the knock sensor. wonder why. maybe I need it?
    I haven't put my external IC on yet so its running without one. So thinking inlet temps might be a bit hot but would that stop it getting over 7050rpm?
    The supercharger has been rebuilt (But I haven't checked with a tension wrench what it slips at)

Any ideas guys?

+1
    Are you running the 215 or 185 charger? Don't they have different gears and you would have to match what flywheel your running.

+1
    What prop you running dude??

To much oil in them will kill speed.

1700 to 1800 seems to be about the right idle.

Dont worry about the resistor until you go to the 215 ecu

+1
    And what flywheel/supercharger wheel you running??

+1
    Standard prop I think (Come with it) and has standard plastic pump too. but don't think that would kill revs and speed..

Yeah got the 215 flywheel and smaller 215 gear on super charger. it should still go a little faster then factory 185 yeah?
    Think the bigger fuel reg could be over fueling it? didn't think it would hurt because in theory it has more boost and don't want to lean it out.

Copy that on the resistor.. wonder why the 185 doesn't use one?
    Any other ideas?

+1
    Just an FYI, the Rev limiter is 7650 on that computer. But your saying your only seeing 7050. Check for boost leaks. Are you running premium fuel?
    With the different cam and valve timing of the 215 over the 185 and running the 185 computer is hard to know what speeds you may get.
    The fuel is based on map and temp inputs, no o2 sensors so the ecu may just not have fuel maps to handle it. It may be way lean.
    Look at your spark plugs. See if they tell anything like lean or rich.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Just an FYI, the Rev limiter is 7650 on that computer. But your saying your only seeing 7050. Check for boost leaks. Are you running premium fuel?
    With the different cam and valve timing of the 215 over the 185 and running the 185 computer is hard to know what speeds you may get.
    The fuel is based on map and temp inputs, no o2 sensors so the ecu may just not have fuel maps to handle it. It may be way lean.
    Look at your spark plugs. See if they tell anything like lean or rich.

He said hes running the 215 regulator........he's probably way rich

+1
    Well took it out again today.. started it up let it run for about a min. turned it off and dipped the oil a few times. its sitting right on the top dimple/bend on the dip stick. is that ok?

I took off and about a min or two into the trip it started to miss. I went and got a set of new plugs. even tho the other plugs was about 1 hour old. so new plugs miss went away. BUT still 7050 rpm and 84 kph.

ill throw up a pic of the plugs.. they don't look wet or black. if anything look good or maybe a bit lean? but good in my eyes

Im only seeing 7050 on the water but it will free rev over that on the trailer. running 98 octane premium fuel. The engine is running the 185 cam and computer. realistlicaly its a 185 with forged pistons, new valves, springs and retainers running more boost.
    Talked to the neighbor who has a 2010 GTI that runs about 7000 rpm but with 90kph.

The valve timing should be no different with 185 and 215??
    I did read some where they did change the cam between 2003 and 2004 but the only difference was the newer cam didn't have such a harsh cam grind. must be a fix from valves hitting the pistons?

Question whats this about putting a spacer or washers behind the supercharger to space it out? would that affect my engine?

So checking boost leaks. should I just put a gauge on or what is the best way?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plug.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	367107

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steven mace View Post
    Standard prop I think (Come with it) and has standard plastic pump too. but don't think that would kill revs and speed..

Yeah got the 215 flywheel and smaller 215 gear on super charger. it should still go a little faster then factory 185 yeah?
    Think the bigger fuel reg could be over fueling it? didn't think it would hurt because in theory it has more boost and don't want to lean it out.

Copy that on the resistor.. wonder why the 185 doesn't use one?
    Any other ideas?
    215 flywheel and blower wheel. Awesome. Yes should body slightly harder than 185. About 2 psi.

The 215 reg wouldn't over fuel it that much.

The resistor relates to certain wiring looms....my 06 185 doesn't have one and didn't need one with my 215 ecu because they changed looms for that year . But 03, 04 and 05 185 looms need the resistor to work with 215 ecu. Not sure what's different in the loom.

+1
    Pete, your 06 185, what rpm and mph does yours get at WOT?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information