Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice for buying a 2009 Kawasaki Ultra 260X

Hi everyone, I am most likely going to be buying a 2009 Kawasaki Ultra 260X if everything checks out good. I would be getting an awesome deal on it as the back left has a gash in the hull from loading it on the trailer on low tide. I have fixed jet ski hulls in the past so that's nothing new for me. Is there anything common with this skis that I should look for? Also is there as special coded key or a limit (slow mode) key and a regular? I am coming from a 94 Yamaha so I know many things have changed since then haha. Thanks for the help!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbizub View Post
    Hi everyone, I am most likely going to be buying a 2009 Kawasaki Ultra 260X if everything checks out good. I would be getting an awesome deal on it as the back left has a gash in the hull from loading it on the trailer on low tide. I have fixed jet ski hulls in the past so that's nothing new for me. Is there anything common with this skis that I should look for? Also is there as special coded key or a limit (slow mode) key and a regular? I am coming from a 94 Yamaha so I know many things have changed since then haha. Thanks for the help!
    Ask if the Pump bearings have been updated to the 2011 specs. If not that will be needed first thing. If there is a lot of corrosion inside the hull in and around the engine that would indicate it was not maintained and ask for a test ride first or have them test ride it with you watching as most people won`t let you test ride it. There are many failures on this model and if your not mechanically inclined many guys will tell you to look for a 300X. The parts to replace the pump on this site are right at $240.00 not including labor. The slow key yellow is for beginners and it cuts the power 30%. The Orange key is the one for Full power.

+1
    Lots have said to avoid this ski as they were known to have issues. I had a shot to by one with a good hull and ran good for $2900 and was talked out of after reading some stuff around here.

I agree, while i had tremendous luck with my 250, id be looking for a 300x.

I might be getting the ski for 1k or less. It has 70 hours on it. It has a gash in the hull which I could fix. As far as maintenance I do my own work. Any other common probles? Or a link to other posts. I appreciate all the feedback.

Hey for a grand id go for it

7. +1 by:

+1
    For less than a grand you don't have to play it safe, but... Do a compression check as well as a leakdown test. Then remove the back cone on the pump and check to see if there is any water intrusion. Either way, as others have stated you should upgrade to the new style, but this will tell you how much time you have if any to do so.

+1
    Removing the rear cone will tell you nothing of the pump condition

+1
    On the older style pump you can remove the cone and look in and see if there is any water intrusion. I've checked quite a few this way and have found water in some. Your right however in the fact that it wont tell you everything and a full check is the way to go, but again for less than a grand it's an easy way to see what your gonna have to immediately fix.

Thanks everyone for the input. I decided to buy it and I actually got it for $900. They guy had a 5 year warranty on it which just ended last year and showed me the maintenance records. Seems like he might have drove it hard but maintained it well. Anyways, Like my original post said it had a patched hull that was supposedly leaking. I think the hull is fine but there is a hose near the drive shaft area that looks like it popped off and is dumping water into the engine compartment. Can you help me identify this hose as well as whwere it is supposed to go. I will atach a picture below. Thanks

I put a red circle around the hose I was talking about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150802_095631.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	367204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150802_095640.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	367205

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information