Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Looking to buy a SLT750, again

Hey! I haven't been on here much, I'm enjoying my 93 750. Fun little ski. Don't really want to do tons of work like I did but I have a chance at getting a SLT750, with a burnt piston.

I know about the fuel system, the seller says it has a new 1yr old SBT engine in it, but managed to burn a piston. He says he upgraded the fuel pump. Seems, strange to burn a piston on a new engine with updated fuel system. He's asking 250, which is in my ball park! I'm going to look at it later today, but wanted input as to why a piston would of burned. I'm thinking maybe misadjusted carbs. In the photos the rubber arm by the PTO cyl is missing. I'm not sure if he ran it without the arm and didn't adjust the carbs. Anything I should be looking into? I'm going to check the compression, NEVER TRUST THE SELLER, I know.

I'll be looking into the fuel lines
    Oil injection system
    Fuel valve select
    Ask if the carbs were rebuilt when he replaced the motor.

The only thing I'm shy of is doing a piston. That wrist connector, but if I can do the rest, I can have a shop plant the new piston there.
    At $250, the price is REALLY attactive, and it'll sit for a while while i tear down, asses, save and assemble.

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    If it has a 1 year old SBT motor in it the motor may still be under warranty. Call SBT with the tag number on the motor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    If it has a 1 year old SBT motor in it the motor may still be under warranty. Call SBT with the tag number on the motor.
    I thought about that, but lets assume it's not under warranty. I'm curious what I should look into on why it burned if the fuel system was updated. All I can think is the rubber air arm being MIA so too much air. I looked into Piston prices, I wanna make sure I'm not dropping money into a sinking ship. I'm also heard SBT wasn't a great brand.

+1
    The rubber elbow on the air intake missing is not going to burn down an engine.

+1
    For $250... if it's even in halfway decent condition... it's a steal.

Probably leaned out. Could be a missing carb gasket, or carb not seated right, or leak around reed cage, or leaking fuel selector valve, or leaking fuel filter o-ring, or any fuel hose connection not clamped tight.

Or maybe an overheat meltdown? Possible pump intake screen clogged.

What year SLT? I have an SBT rebuild in my SLT... runs like a top. Love my SLT!

Cheers!

+1
    I have an SBT motor in my Pro 1200 and it runs great. I ran the hell out of it last week.

+1
    I hope it's not a leaky chamber. I was looking about doing the fuel valve. Will I need to do a leak down? I don't want to do this twice.

+1
    Yesterday I took a look at the SLT. WOW! It is CLEAN! Only coesmetic issue is the turf in the foot wells. It is CLEAN the hull, deck, engine bay, I'd be a fool to pass this ski up!

However, I spoke with the seller, this isn't the first time the ski has burnt a piston. When he bought the ski used a few years ago. Well, he took it out and noticed a "flat spot" on performance. Well, over time it burnt the MAG piston, no surprise there. He had the carbs done 2 years ago and new fuel lines, USCG approved stuff, though the fuel valve wasn't addressed. He thinks that the carbs need to be gone through again (I plan on it anyways). Also with new fuel lines, if I recall, the fuel return restrictor could be MIA, so I'm looking in to that. I checked the compression, WOW! PTO/CEN 160 dead on, and the MAG was low, like 100. I looked in the hole and all I saw was my reflection, though my flash light was the one on my phone, I think I saw a hole. After I get her home tonight I'll make a new thread when I start working on it. The fuel pump is the duel outlet DF-62-702, which I have on my 750, might just rebuild that. I didn't see a fuel/water separator. Did they not have them in 95? I also didn't see any fuel filter.

I plan on:
    Addressing the carbs
    Addressing the fuel select valve
    Addressing a restricter
    Replacing the piston (duh)

I'm not sure if he's running the 7 or 8 heat rating plugs. Hmmmm.

I looked at the HIN it's a 95 SLT.
    Also, SBT or WSM pistons? WSM cost less by a few bucks. Advice?

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    $250 is a decent price.

+1
    And I brought her home <3. When it's not 106 with 50%+ humidity I'll start breaking her down.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information