Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2003 GP1300r electrical question/problem

I have an electrical issue with my 2003 GP1300R. This past weekend I shut it down without incident in the water. Few minutes later I went to start back up and noting but a click. The display would come on and it would beep but no starter engagement. So I get it home and think its the starter solenoid...so I take a screwdriver and jump between the posts and it starts and fires right up...good right? Well when the new solenoid arrives and I install it, I go to start it and get absolutely nothing...no display, no beep, no click, no nothing. So....I check all the fuses and they are good, put the old solenoid back on and still nothing. So is it possible I could have fried the main relay thats inside the electrical box?? I don't want to start ordering unnecessary parts before I'm sure...btw, it'll still turn over when I jump the terminals but won't start now so I figure the starter itself is good. Thank you in advance for advice!

+1
    Could be the start stop switch. When they go, it's usually an intermittent problem like that. JetSki Solutions does great work on them. Reasonable cost also.

I've tried the start stop switch and still nothing...no display no click or nothing. Could I have fried the ECU when I jumped the post on starter solenoid? It would at least click and the display would come on and beep before I did that. I hate trouble shooting electrical issues...btw...it'll still turn the starter over when I jump the solenoid but nothing else.

I just answered my question about the ECU since I took one out of a working ski and still nothing...

Go back into the box and confirm/clean the bullet connectors. I believe it's brown, but just check them all.

Also, ensure you have 12V to one side of the solenoid and there are more than one wires on the hot side. You may have forgotten or mis-installed the wires to the solenoid.

check that grounds in the box are clean and you didn't miss one on the solenoid small wires and in the correct order on the small wires.

You can also pull apart the multi-pin connectors and verify clean connections.

I will do that tomorrow. I do have 12 volts at that brown wire inside the box when the negative is disconnected from the starter but when I reconnect the starter I have nothing there...maybe that is normal??

Quote Originally Posted by BadinGPR View Post
    I will do that tomorrow. I do have 12 volts at that brown wire inside the box when the negative is disconnected from the starter but when I reconnect the starter I have nothing there...maybe that is normal??
    Take some pictures. Do you you have the factory service manual that will show u the wiring diagram. I don't see voltage changes based on a ground, unless using a bad ground to test voltage, but that's not what your describing.

I can't seem to figure out how to add a picture but from looking at the online shop manual everything seems to be wired correctly in the box. I have replaced the start stop switch, the main relay, the starter and the starter solenoid and still absolutely nothing happens when I press the start button. All the connections and wiring look clean as well. I'm thinking the next step is to replace the box and harness? Oops...looks like I did figure out the picture thing after all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	367701  

This is the problem after days of searching right under that little piece of shrink wrap.

Might be a good idea to check the connection inside the electrical box under the heat shrink where the 3 red wires come together...especially if it's an older 1300. My box looked otherwise perfect until I stripped the heat shrink off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	368151  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information